Maine coon cats

Rural. We live on a private road that's rarely travelled. Biggest predators are big dogs. We have coyotes, but I don't know that they really bother anything. Climate? I'm in Georgia. Doesn't get too cold or too hot. I have a cat already, btw. No fence. And no, not all cats can't survive outside. I've seen cats die within days of being outside for the first time. I've seen cats born and raised outside live for years.

I keep several barn cats outside of my house. But have a small, heated shed for them to have warmth, shelter and safety. These are all stray/drop offs.

Now, if I were to get a specific breed of cat, it would live in my house. Safety being a big part of why. Much higher risk of predators, cars and disease.

Maine Coons have very long hair, which needs daily brushing. Maybe a little harder to keep it free from burrs and other natural elements if it's strictly an outdoor cat.

A lot of breeders will not sell you one of their kittens unless you agree to keep it inside. Maine Coons are not cheap. An outdoor cat is subject to all sorts of risks. Unless and until you can keep your Maine Coon inside do yourself and the cat a favor and don't get one until you can.

Yeah I'd agree that Maine Coons COULD survive outside, as could almost any cat, but it is not really a good idea. They do require a lot of grooming, some moreso than others depending on their coat texture, and like someone else said, if you're going to put that much money down on a purebred cat it'd be a good idea to protect that investment!

I know a lot of Maine Coons that take well to harness walking and catios! You might need a small dog-sized harness for some of the bigger MCs :p

Back
Top Bottom