Making Cat Food

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
About a month ago, the sweetest kitty showed up at our house. She was starving and had fleas. But she's the most cuddly kitty I have ever met. Mia sleeps with me all night, spends a lot of time on my lap, follows me around and lets me pick her up.
Of course, we treated her fleas, fed her up, and took her to get spayed. Surprise! She was already spayed! And a year old rather than 4-6 months we guessed. She's just small, with tiny teeth. It didn't answer where she came from, but she's my baby girl now. She will never go hungry again.

She showed some tendency towards urinary issues, so canned food is the recommendation. I found she likes Turkey and Salmon the best. Won't eat chicken?! lol Some brands she won't even touch.
After 3 meals a day of canned food, I keep running out. And I don't like the ingredients listed on the ones she finds palatable. Grains and veggies make no sense for carnivorous cats, right?
So, I'm thinking of making her food. First, I'd like to make her a Turkey Stew, so it has lots of fluid / gravy. I found some multi-vitamin supplements online for cats, I'm trying to pick but have to make sure it has adequate levels of taurine. I also found one that has blood plasma and red cells (pork) for nutrients and palatability. The end result needs to be balanced.
I suppose I'm looking for ideas or feedback about making cat food. Is it a bad idea? If it was easier to find palatable and healthy canned cat food, I would just stick with that.

My kitty is on the older end - 11.5yrs old. And we fed her dry grain free food but a few months ago (I'm guessing it has to do with her age...)🤷‍♀️
So my DH brought home a pkg of chicken hearts, I sauteed them with chicken broth then using an immersion blender I blended it all up to a wet cat food consistency, then added a can of grain free cat food and blended it till it was incorporated. You could still use chicken hearts, but you could use beef broth and use a turkey or salmon cat food to blend in.

About a month ago, the sweetest kitty showed up at our house. She was starving and had fleas. But she's the most cuddly kitty I have ever met. Mia sleeps with me all night, spends a lot of time on my lap, follows me around and lets me pick her up.
Of course, we treated her fleas, fed her up, and took her to get spayed. Surprise! She was already spayed! And a year old rather than 4-6 months we guessed. She's just small, with tiny teeth. It didn't answer where she came from, but she's my baby girl now. She will never go hungry again.

She showed some tendency towards urinary issues, so canned food is the recommendation. I found she likes Turkey and Salmon the best. Won't eat chicken?! lol Some brands she won't even touch.
After 3 meals a day of canned food, I keep running out. And I don't like the ingredients listed on the ones she finds palatable. Grains and veggies make no sense for carnivorous cats, right?
So, I'm thinking of making her food. First, I'd like to make her a Turkey Stew, so it has lots of fluid / gravy. I found some multi-vitamin supplements online for cats, I'm trying to pick but have to make sure it has adequate levels of taurine. I also found one that has blood plasma and red cells (pork) for nutrients and palatability. The end result needs to be balanced.
I suppose I'm looking for ideas or feedback about making cat food. Is it a bad idea? If it was easier to find palatable and healthy canned cat food, I would just stick with that.
Making your cats food is the highest sign of love there is. Taurine is an easy supplement to buy in bulk, if you're worried. I know nothing about making cat food, but I do know that anything is better than what comes in a bag.
I used to recommend Dr Pitcairn, but it seems that he's gone onto some vegan thing, and I don't think that is appropriate for carnivores. This is an interesting recipe, but I would never feed Rapeseed oil (canola) to anything that I loved.
https://www.hepper.com/homemade-cat-food/

I'm transitioning our cats to homemade cat food designed for carnivores(link above)
A grinder and ice trays are helpful as well as small containers with lids https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWH7LR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom