Making my own dorm fridge incubator

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I have a small (2' x 2' x 2' exterior dimensions) dorm fridge. I've been wanting to get rid of it because milk got in the door seals and plastic. It stinks. So, instead, I think I'll turn it into an incubator. I want to replace the door with plexi of some kind. To make this work, I'll need the following to get it to work.
  • Heat source
  • Thermometer/hygrometer
  • Temperature activated power switch
  • Egg turner (purely for convenience)
  • Fan to move air?
  • Heat sink
  • Battery backup power (power strip with a battery inside it, since we have fairly regular power outages of 3 hours or more).
My requirements for parts
  • I don't want to do any welding
  • I want the parts to be as plug and play as possible
  • Reasonably priced
  • Durable
  • No light bulb heat source
I don't need it to be "hatch safe" because I am going to use this as my "starter" incubator and have a different incubator as my "lockdown" incubator. Any suggestions for a 10-12 egg, cheap incubator for lockdown (no turner needed) would be great as well.

Not sure what your end desires are, but sometimes making your own runs more costly than purchasing an entry level unit. Here is one on Amazon for $$66.00 Looks like it can handle 10 eggs.
https://www.amazon.com/Smartxchoice...=1508708260&sr=8-2&keywords=chicken+incubator

I am not sure how much the items listed will cost you. Guessing a lot more for all of them.
Making your own unit would be cost effective if it was to be a larger unit that normally costs $mucho buks$.
WISHING YOU BEST......:thumbsup

I want the smaller incubator as a Lockdown incubator (I'll buy, not make that one) but I want the dorm fridge to be able to handle 40 or more eggs (maybe 40 to start but hopefully I'll be able to add another turning rack) since I'll be doing staggered hatches

Back
Top Bottom