Male french guinea weak with a cough.

Birdchicken

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
He wouldn't go into the coop last night so i picked him up and put him in. This morning he wouldn't come out and when i brought him out he just sat in one spot and has an occasional cough. What can i do for him? I have him inside the house with food and water.

Last edited:
Is he eating,drinking? Drainage from eyes, nostrils or mouth? Are his waddles or other flesh areas pale? Are his feathers fluffed up and body huddled? Are his eyes dull or red? Is he sneezing? Hea y breathing? Weight loss? Wet stools?(not cecal droppings)
Are his legs pale or awollen? Does he have diff walking?

He wouldn't go into the coop last night so i picked him up and put him in. This morning he wouldn't come out and when i brought him out he just sat in one spot and has an occasional cough. What can i do for him? I have him inside the house with food and water.
Sorry to hear about your sick bird! Guineas can get some of the same diseases that chickens can, like Mycoplasma, which can cause respiratory disease. There are a lot of other problems though that can cause the kinds of general “sick” signs that you describe. @Sydney65 had a good suggestion about posting to the emergencies and diseases forum. I hope they can help your Guinea! In the meantime, it sounds like you are doing the right things: keeping him separated, warm, offering food and water, electrolytes wouldn’t hurt, and just general nursing care. If a vet is an option, you might consider that. You can also look into your state diagnostic lab to help you figure out what the problem was if the worst happens. That’s especially important if you have a flock disease. Best of luck - I hope you’ll let us know how he does!

Back
Top Bottom