Male Guinea attacking felmale guinea ??? Help

Janinedk

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
Help, please
I have 3 male guineas and 2 female guineas - down from a total of 13. Something was killing our guineas a month ago so we have kept them all in. Yesterday I saw one of the females injured in the face and today I witnessed one of the males repeatedly pecking at her. He would walk away and then come right back. I managed to get him out of the coop entirely and he has spent the day trying to get back in. He is acting very aggressively in trying to get in. climbing the cage over and over and circling the entire coop.
Is this unusual? Any suggestions as to what I should do?
I thought that I might have a male-to-male issue but not one in which the male was trying to kill a female.

Oh my goodness! I was wrong! I was just out in the coop - we have one male and one female that are identical - It was the male that he was attacking!! Because the identical female was sitting on an egg and he was standing next to her. I only know him by his mannerisms. At this point, he was acting normal. Not squealing and cowering. But the other male is determined to get at him.
At this point do I just make sure they can't be together? They have always been ok with each other? Maybe the low number of females is setting him off? It is so sad.

Oh my goodness! I was wrong! I was just out in the coop - we have one male and one female that are identical - It was the male that he was attacking!! Because the identical female was sitting on an egg and he was standing next to her. I only know him by his mannerisms. At this point, he was acting normal. Not squealing and cowering. But the other male is determined to get at him.
At this point do I just make sure they can't be together? They have always been ok with each other? Maybe the low number of females is setting him off? It is so sad.
Too few guineas in too small an area.

It’s hard to maintain a small flock and it’s hard to maintain a flock without free ranging. Add to that your flock’s stress over the recent loss of most of your flock and you have some tough conditions. Are you trying to hatch eggs to add to your flock? Flock dynamics of large flocks are better than those of small flocks. Maybe you could let them out for a few hours in the evening while you are there to supervise and ward off your predator? Do you know what has been picking them off?

Back
Top Bottom