Mallard vs Rouen duckling ID

amykbennett

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
Long time chicken mama here (currently have 30+ in our flock), but first time duck mama. We picked up these 2 cuties this weekend at the local feed store. They were both supposed to be Mallards, but even in just the past few days, one has grown considerably faster than the other. Between that and the double eye line on the bigger one, I'm wondering if it might actually be a Rouen?
1000006028.jpg
1000006041.jpg
1000006024.jpg

Thanks so much! Hoping they're both female as we'd like to keep them in the chicken coop. Size isn't a gender indicator yet, right? Will have to wait a few more weeks for vocalizations. Although they are both very chatty, ESPECIALLY the Rouen. That one never stops talking - and appears very earnest and emotional while doing so. Really gets into it. Hahaha

Send a video of them chatting when they’re around 2.5 - 3 weeks, and I can voice sex them early for you :)
Really??? That would be amazing! I think they're around 2 1/2 weeks now, if the feed store is right. Here is a video of each. The Rouen (the one in the shorter video) sounds raspy to me, but this is my first go round with ducks so I have no idea what I'm listening for. Haha. Thanks!

Really??? That would be amazing! I think they're around 2 1/2 weeks now, if the feed store is right. Here is a video of each. The Rouen (the one in the shorter video) sounds raspy to me, but this is my first go round with ducks so I have no idea what I'm listening for. Haha. Thanks!

At the moment, they both sound boy-ish to me. If their voices are still like that in the coming weeks, I’d say they’re both boys.

For girls, you’re listening for what’s called a “peep-honk,” which is subtle, but possible to hear this early, and I don’t hear it in either of them.

At the moment, they both sound boy-ish to me. If their voices are still like that in the coming weeks, I’d say they’re both boys.

For girls, you’re listening for what’s called a “peep-honk,” which is subtle, but possible to hear this early, and I don’t hear it in either of them.
Nooooo - say it isn't so! We don't want drakes - we want to be able to house our ducks and chickens together, and it's not safe to keep drakes with chickens, right? We don't have any bantams, but we do have some smaller(ish) breeds like Polishes to worry about...and 3 roosters already!

Back
Top Bottom