Mamó's Kiwi Coop plans

Kiwi Mamo

Chirping
Oct 16, 2023
Invercargill, New Zealand
Now, I have no experience building, some planning, and I do enjoy tinkering and trying stuff out.

My coop is going to be 1.8x1.8m (6x6'), 3.24²m (36²') mobile and the run 1.8x3.6m (6x12')+ the space under the coop which gives a total of 1.8x5.4m (6x18'), 9.72²m (108²') for the run.
I'm using 50x50 (2x2) for 4 upright posts, and bottom, floor and top cross supports. The rest is mainly 25x50 (2x1) with the occasional 2x3 thrown in. Trying to keep it lighter.

I think I have everything covered, but please let me know if I have forgotten anything. Also I think in feet and inches, but New Zealand is totally metric.

The coop is raised 90cm (3') off the ground, width of the wire mesh. Under it will be rain fed watering system, dust bath and a DIY feeder attached to front wall, but pointing under to keep dry. And grit and calcium dispensers will be under there as well.
CoopFrames.png

Everything is going to be painted after cutting but before putting together. Final coat after it's all done, haven't decided colours yet
The floor is plywood, covered with lino for easier cleaning and longevity. 30cm (1') deep litter bed. Lino will go up the wall the 30cm. On the side walls will be a drop door and twin opening doors for cleaning, just park the wheelbarrow under and rake out.
At the front will be the Chook's door, 35x35cm (14x14") with ramp into the run, and twin not opening windows either side above it.
At the back is the nest box, 110x35cm for 3 nests 35x35 (14x14") with a lift lid for egg collection
NestBoxes.png

The top board and log uprights attaches to the outside of the coop wall after the plywood is on and will have the lid attached to it. The shorter boards in the middle and the bottom ones attach to the framed hole in the wall. And I put a step roost 9" away so they can get in the nests easier. Probably not needed, as it's only a foot off an empty floor, bedding will make it higher.
Oh, bedding is going to be a mix, depending on cost at the time, Hemp, wood shavings, wood chips maybe.
Above the nest level we have 2x 180 cm (6') roosts, 75x50 (3x1), 170cm usable to them. They are 79cm (31") off empty floor, take 6" off for fresh bedding, leaving just over 2' high. Hoping that's not too high for them. And top edges beveled and grit painted. Ramp will be grit painted as well.

While standing on those roosts they will be able to look out of the opening window above the nests or the fixed windows into the run. The windows will be acrylic. I can get all 3 windows out of 1 sheet of acrylic. And I can look in the windows when collecting eggs or checking/refilling food. The opening one will have mesh on it too.

Around 60cm (2') above roosts is a 12.5x170cm (5x67") vent on nest wall, and 76cm (2'7") above roost on the run side the vent is 43.75x170cm (17x67") Hopefully well above their heads for no drafts, but plenty of airflow. Vents will have mesh over them.

Last but not least, the roof. Flat roof 240x338cm (94.5x93.5") inclung a 24cm (9.5") overhang. Run side is 45cm (18") higher than nest side, which is a 3:12 or 14° rise, and Bronze Corrugated Polycarbonate Sheeting.
Nest side will have a spouting and downpipe to collect rain water for the chooks drinking water, which I'll top up if it's a bit dryer. Usually rains a lot where I live. The down pipe will go under the coop, with drinking cups drilled into the pvc pipe, which the chooks activate by pecking a tongue to fill the cup.

Oh, I guess the roof wasn't last, wheels are. Kinda undecided. I've would like to do the lift n kick like CovertChickOps did with his. Pushing his coop around with just his finger was rather appealing to me. I have been looking at 4 dolly wheels rated at 150kg/pair. My Dad thinks I don't have a chance of getting it to work, but I'm more adventurous than him :) He thinks I would have more luck with a handle push and lock on each wheel. I've also been wondering whether I may need 6 wheels rather than 4, considering the length of coop and run.

Well, these are my plans. I have a cut and parts list too, if wanted, but will only post that if asked to, It's rather lengthy, and I've already written a book :)
Thank you for reading and any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm not a carpenter. But, wouldn't raising the roof jus a little on one side help the rain to go where you want it to? Like, away from the door of the coop.
I do apologise, I wasn't clear when describing the roof, and I totally forgot the spouting for the rain-fed watering system. I will fix it up, thank you. The roof is 45cm higher on the run side than on the nestbox side, which will have a spouting and downpipe going under the coop for the chooks drinking water, just like on a people house.

Back
Top Bottom