Mama and babies with broody duck?

Clmmlm

Hatching
Dec 8, 2022
I have a mama duck that just hatched a couple ducklings this morning. My ducks are free range, which can make this harder, as she went broody in a horrible spot lol. I’ve been setting up a new area just for her and the ducklings, until they are big enough. When I was putting the finishing touches on this morning, one of my other females decided to go broody right inside of the new pen. This is only day 1 of her doing this. Can I leave her there? Will the mama and ducklings be ok with a broody duck in the same pen, or should do I need to relocate her?
Also, what’s the easiest way to move the mama and babies? I know she won’t like it, but will she be fine once she is in the pen with her ducklings and knows everything is ok?

How large is the pen? If the mother and ducklings can stay far enough away from the setting duck, it may work. When you move her and the ducklings, she will be somewhat agitated but should settle down fairly rapidly.

It is roughly 15’ x 25’. Would that be large enough? She is as on one end by the door, and the house is on the other side of the pen so they can stay away.
Awesome! That’s what I was assuming, but wanted to check. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom