Mama Hen and babies

Chickensandicedcoffee

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
I have two chicks with mother hen and I would love to keep them with her, but it seems like she is very clumsy with them. She is scratching around foraging but she will not pay attention and kick the babies while digging. She is defensive of them and feeds/shows them water, but I'm scared she will hurt them accidentally. I don't know if I should remove them. I have two older babies under a heat lamp that I can put them with, I'd just rather keep them with mama. Thanks for all advice! First time hatching with a hen

Yes, leave them with your broody; she is being a good mom by following her instincts to find food for them by scratching in the dirt. (Although there is chick feed in the feeder.😁) It's 100% normal for new chicks to be caught standing behind mom's feet when her scratchy feet start working, and get kicked backwards a little ways. The chicks will chirp a complaint, but within a few days/a time or two of sailing backwards, the chicks quickly learn to stay in front or to the sides of their mom. Enjoy watching your broody raise her chicks!

I have two chicks with mother hen and I would love to keep them with her, but it seems like she is very clumsy with them. She is scratching around foraging but she will not pay attention and kick the babies while digging. She is defensive of them and feeds/shows them water, but I'm scared she will hurt them accidentally. I don't know if I should remove them. I have two older babies under a heat lamp that I can put them with, I'd just rather keep them with mama. Thanks for all advice! First time hatching with a hen
Chicks are much tougher then people give them credit for.
I have seen them sat on, trodden on, sent flying when the mother is scratching, and more, and the very worst that has ever happened was one got a limp for a few days. (this was after the rooster didn't realize the hen was sitting on chicks and tried to mate with her. He was horrified when her found out)
Leave them with her, she is the best teacher those chicks can have.

Back
Top Bottom