Mama hen hatching eggs now

Jun 16, 2019
I have a giant blue Cochin laying on 13 eggs (unfortunately!). I don’t know why I let her sit on that many. I feel terrible.
Anyway, they were put under her within a few days of each other. Many were due today. One has hatched and a second has a zip line ( is that what it’s called?). The nest box she chose is large enough for her to sit on, but not large enough to move around in. We extended it out a bit so she and the chicks have a little more room.
A few concerns.
Is it too small? Should I remove the chicks several hours after they hatch so they all have more room? I have an incubator and a heat plate.
Because it’s so small, I’m afraid when she moves around, the eggs will be moved on their hatch day and not be in the proper position to hatch. Do I need to prepare myself for the fact that some may die? I’m also afraid that she will try to jump out and move the eggs out of position causing the demise of the chicks. Once they start hatching, will she stay in there? I’ve been bringing her food, scrambled egg and water so she doesn’t HAVE to get out. And she already had a giant nasty poop in the box that I cleaned out without moving her
This is hers and my first time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 9
I have a giant blue Cochin laying on 13 eggs (unfortunately!). I don’t know why I let her sit on that many. I feel terrible.
Anyway, they were put under her within a few days of each other. Many were due today. One has hatched and a second has a zip line ( is that what it’s called?). The nest box she chose is large enough for her to sit on, but not large enough to move around in. We extended it out a bit so she and the chicks have a little more room.
A few concerns.
Is it too small? Should I remove the chicks several hours after they hatch so they all have more room? I have an incubator and a heat plate.
Because it’s so small, I’m afraid when she moves around, the eggs will be moved on their hatch day and not be in the proper position to hatch. Do I need to prepare myself for the fact that some may die? I’m also afraid that she will try to jump out and move the eggs out of position causing the demise of the chicks. Once they start hatching, will she stay in there? I’ve been bringing her food, scrambled egg and water so she doesn’t HAVE to get out. And she already had a giant nasty poop in the box that I cleaned out without moving her
This is hers and my first time.
I would just leave her to hatch her eggs, but that's just my opinion. On the box situation: eventually, they will grow out of that box so it would be best to get them a bigger one when you go out next. For her, it looks like a great broody box! ✨ good luck and welcome to BYC!

I have a smaller coop that I want to move them into once they hatch. I was going to do it several days ago, but didn’t want her to get confused and stop sitting on them And o didn’t want to chance moving the eggs
Thank you for your reply 😊👍🏼

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 8
I have a smaller coop that I want to move them into once they hatch. I was going to do it several days ago, but didn’t want her to get confused and stop sitting on them And o didn’t want to chance moving the eggs
Thank you for your reply 😊👍🏼
Did you move them? How did it go? I want to do the same, but wondering how will the newly hatched chicks integrate with the other flock members if I put them in my smaller coop?

Back
Top Bottom