Mama hen segregating babies

Shepherdess

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2015
I have a bantam cochin mama hen that has raised 10 babies of mixed breeds. Seven of the babies are banty sized but three are much larger and are probably roosters with barred rock genes. They are eight weeks old and in the last couple of days the mama has started running the larger babies off and not letting them eat or drink at the regular feeders. I've put out extra feeders and waterers but am wondering if I should go ahead and put the barred rocks in their own little coop/run. I have some 12 week old buff orpingtons that I could introduce the babies to and integrate them into that flock although I had hoped to have this a hen only flock. What do you think?

She has been such a great mama that this behavior really surprised me.
I wouldn't blame it on her being a bad mama, it's just the way things go with the babies. If not, then she'd have them for the rest of her life. Hopefully she turns out to be just as good a flock member to them as what she was a mama!

It isn't a good idea to mix bantam eggs and full sized eggs and put them under a bantam broody hen. She knows they are not her breed and knows that being larger they will prevent the smaller bantam chicks from getting food and shelter.
I would consider seperating them but it's a terrible thing to do to the chicks and you will have to raise them if you seperate.

Back
Top Bottom