Managing numbers in your flock

@Mrs. K
I hadn't really thought of adding another rooster after giving Oscar away. I sometimes really regret that decision as he has turned out to be an absolutely wonderful rooster!!! I get to visit him (did
again last night) and my friend just gushes over how good he is and how happy she is to have taken him. He is still sweet and has all the good qualities of a protective but good natured flock master. She has asked me to pick her another from the cockerels I have now. Hahahaha
I do miss him. Was it just dumb luck I picked him or was there a method to my reasoning when I observed him with the flock? Could I repeat this or not?

Update: I have officially acquired 3 new birds. Two Serama pullets and 1 Serama cockerel. Totally NOT in the plan! So my new method is, if some come in some must go. If I like my current flock no more must come in. Lol

Two pullets left last night. They are joining 3 other flock mates at my friend's farm so we will get updates and visit them. It's much easier to know we can keep track and visit the ones that leave.

We have 5 hens and 1 pullet that are residents and a possibility of 5 pullets to choose from IF I am correct on genders though it's still too early to know for certain. Nine is ideal so we shall see what happens.

Now that leaves the 6 silkies we have no idea on genders yet and 4 Seramas that at least 3, but most likely all 4, will stay.

I REALLY need to get a grip on this chicken math, and quick!

Oh, my goodness! Chicken math is a real thing for me, too! I started out with just 2 hens, Easter Eggers, several years ago. Was given 6 silkies for free - how could I say no!! - and kept only one as the others started crowing. Moved to the country a year ago and bought some Orpingtons. Played with the incubator and can't sell the result as EVERYONE around here has chickens and eggs a plenty. I have packed away the incubator. Rescued 6 silkie chicks and brought them back to health. 2 hens have hatched13 babies!! Soooo cute, and they all look after the chicks. Another is setting on more eggs. I have 23 half grown Orpingtons, along with the original 7 hens, who lay A LOT. I feed most of the eggs to the pigs and chicks. Then I saw Tractor Supply was selling silkies in different colors and bought 6 of those. Well, only 1 was a buff silkie, and not fluffy at all. Now I have 2 Black Copper Marans, a Bantam fizzle in black, and one in grey, and a mystery Bantam I don't know what is, but she is curious and friendly. I love them all, but many of the Orpingtons will be going to freezer camp soon. My husband said NO MORE CHICKENS. I agree... well, for now anyway!

I'm breeding my own mutts, from hatchery birds, with an eye towards an eventual goal (not a breed, technically, I'm building something closer to a landrace) - so my goals will necessarily, differ from yours, and my management likewise. Though there is a little overlap.

I started with a handful of common breeds and hybrids and landraces - SLW, Dark Brahma, "Rainbows", Golden Comets, CornishX - as I get examples of the genetics I want out of the parent stock, and they grow in age, the older girls get culled out. The roosters get culled out at a younger, tastier age - so like you, I'm making room for new birds with new variations.

I have interest in egg production - no banties for me - but eggs aren't the be all and end all, I want some meat too, since I incubate my own, its nice to have a rooster a week for meat, to join the old hen a week for stock, stew, or sausage. Having no banties (ever), I can't opine on the value of maintaining multiple flocks - I do keep Pekin ducks in the same flock as my chickens, in spite of size disparities - but they have differing needs and voluntarily sleep differently, so they largely self segregate. Nor do I have any shortage of space - abundance being a social lubricant and all.

Accordingly, if you give them a good life and a clean, swift end, I would say no - neither heartless or cruel. and to the extent others might differ (and about whose opinion I care not one wit), you are invited to hold me up as an example of someone more heartless than yourself. I'd be happy to take the burden of their umbrage off your shoulders, and deposit it in the compost pile, where it properly belongs.
Well said!

Back
Top Bottom