Mange In Chickens?

This is an older thread. I had my first flock around 50 years ago. Luckily I didn't have many problems back then. It just been the last few years where I experienced more issues. My birds, and I have a few hundred, never had mange but have had mites and lice. Ivermectin isn't approved for poultry the last time I checked but permethrin is and has worked for me. Same program weekly treatments for 3 or 4 weeks and there is no egg withdrawal period. Good luck...

This is an older thread. I had my first flock around 50 years ago. Luckily I didn't have many problems back then. It just been the last few years where I experienced more issues. My birds, and I have a few hundred, never had mange but have had mites and lice. Ivermectin isn't approved for poultry the last time I checked but permethrin is and has worked for me. Same program weekly treatments for 3 or 4 weeks and there is no egg withdrawal period. Good luck...
By the time this mite is identified most people have an infestation.If not treated aggressively it can kill the bird ,some are culled because it takes months to get rid of.It can a year for the feet and toes scales to regrow and look normal and the feathers will look terriblr until they molt. The Merks manual doesn't mention permethrin.

Back
Top Bottom