manure trays in Canada?

For the Canadians out there, has anyone come across any type of large sheet pans, metal trays, drip pans etc. that can be used in your own cage build? They seem quite challenging to source here. Thanks
I have used 18"x 26" large restaurant baking sheets. Got them used. They get so banged up in the restaurant that they want to get rid of them once they're beyond their usefulness. Two trays worked great for each level of my 2' x 3' cage.

Thanks. Yep the Advanced Auto Parts one is the exact one I wanted. It was the one in the notes for the Wood Cage Build video on the Coturnix Corner YT channel. I wish I could get it here. Great price and I think sturdier metal.

Is this the one you use?
https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/p/surebilt-large-drip-tray/475418_0_0

The exact dimensions question seems to be answered on that Advanced Auto page. Would have been perfect.

"What are the dimensions, please
Add your answer
Verified Reply - Steve
Hi Ernest, I'm glad to assist you! This FloTool Galvanized Drip Tray (Part # 11430MI) has 25"- inches width, 36"- inches length, and 3/4"- inch depth.

What ate the dimensions of this pan?
Add your answer
Verified Reply - John the Car-Doc
Hi Gary, I'm glad to assist you! This FloTool Galvanized Drip Tray - Part # 11430MI has 25 inches width, 36 inches length, and 3/4 inch depth."
Thought you might like to see the trays I'm using in action they do work very well for me. And for the price you can't beat them. A couple of pics of my brooding setup with them in use. Hopefully you can get a line on them for yourself. I built everything to fit them like it sounds like you're wanting to do. Nothing in box brooders right now collecting eggs for incubating now. The other cages are used for up to 4 to 5 weeks of age or fully feathered and not needing heat. Top cage has some excess males 5 weeks of age that will be moved out to an outdoor pen/aviary, and lower 2 pens have 3 breeding sets 5 weeks of age 1set jumbo browns 2 sets jumbo whites to be picked up/sold this weekend. Above the box brooder has a few that have some miner pecking wounds.
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG

Last edited:
I have used 18"x 26" large restaurant baking sheets. Got them used. They get so banged up in the restaurant that they want to get rid of them once they're beyond their usefulness. Two trays worked great for each level of my 2' x 3' cage.
That's great. Yes that seems to be the largest size I came across for restaurant sheets/sheet pans/ trays etc., but I've only seen new stuff here and there. Are you in Canada? I'm curious where you successfully sourced used restaurant stuff? Did you just approach individual restaurants directly? Do you have any real issue with manure falling through between the trays upon removal etc.? Thanks

Thought you might like to see the trays I'm using in action they do work very well for me. And for the price you can't beat them. A couple of pics of my brooding setup with them in use. Hopefully you can get a line on them for yourself. I built everything to fit them like it sounds like you're wanting to do. Nothing in box brooders right now collecting eggs for incubating now. The other cages are used for up to 4 to 5 weeks of age or fully feathered and not needing heat. Top cage has some excess males 5 weeks of age that will be moved out to an outdoor pen/aviary, and lower 2 have 3 breeding sets 5 weeks of age 1 jumbo browns 2 jumbo whites. Above the box brooder has a few that have some miner pecking wounds.View attachment 3373621View attachment 3373622View attachment 3373623
That looks great. Thanks for sharing this.

Are the two wooden cages your brooder boxes?

What kind of trough feeders do you have? Do they work well, and where did you get them?

Same question as the previous post, is there any real issue with two side-by-side manure trays under one cage vs. just one big tray?

Do you always use pine shavings on your manure trays to help with the quail smell? How do the wood shavings affect composting of the manure? I've been wondering about pine shavings in the compost. I know that pine needles can create acidic soil, but I'm not sure about pine shavings (I'm assuming your using pine or a mix with pine)

Thanks again!

That looks great. Thanks for sharing this.

Are the two wooden cages your brooder boxes?

What kind of trough feeders do you have? Do they work well, and where did you get them?

Same question as the previous post, is there any real issue with two side-by-side manure trays under one cage vs. just one big tray?

Do you always use pine shavings on your manure trays to help with the quail smell? How do the wood shavings affect composting of the manure? I've been wondering about pine shavings in the compost. I know that pine needles can create acidic soil, but I'm not sure about pine shavings (I'm assuming your using pine or a mix with pine)

Thanks again!
Yes, those are my brooders they have 175watt infrared heat bulbs in heat lamp fixtures mounted inside with dimmer light switches to control heat. Feeder troughs are from GQF water troughs from Wynola Ranch both exterior mounted. Waterers all gravity fed from water bucket on top tubed down to each trough. Both works very well just had to modify feeder troughs a little to mount on 1x2" wire. Side by side trays I just bent a piece of roof flashing on an angle to cover the middle edges of trays to keep clean same roof flashing I used as dividers attached to the wire and around exterior of cages to keep thing from spewing out of sides of cages. Shavings helps with smell but mainly to have manure just slide right off tray without scrapping and keeps trays clean. Never had problem with shavings in my compost or in garden but I lime my garden every year or so. I also use wood shavings/sawdust and also works and its free. You only need a very thin layer to cover trays.

Last edited:
Yes, those are my brooders they have 175watt infrared heat bulbs in heat lamp fixtures mounted inside with dimmer light switches to control heat. Feeder troughs are from GQF water troughs from Wynola Ranch both exterior mounted. Waterers all gravity fed from water bucket on top tubed down to each trough. Both works very well just had to modify feeder troughs a little to mount on 1x2" wire. Side by side trays I just bent a piece of roof flashing on an angle to cover the middle edges of trays to keep clean same roof flashing I used as dividers attached to the wire and around exterior of cages to keep thing from spewing out of sides of cages. Shavings helps with smell but mainly to have manure just slide right off tray without scrapping and keeps trays clean. Never had problem with shavings in my compost or in garden but I lime my garden every year or so. I also use wood shavings/sawdust and also works and its free. You only need a very thin layer to cover trays.
The roof flashing is a great idea, both uses.

Is your set up somewhat indoors, or sheltered outside in a predator proof enclosure?

Also, do you regulate your light at all for winter laying?

The roof flashing is a great idea, both uses.

Is your set up somewhat indoors, or sheltered outside in a predator proof enclosure?

Also, do you regulate your light at all for winter laying?
Its indoors now but have the wood brooder boxes insulated and that whole side of rack is insulated as to make it one unit sealed for heat and wind/weather as the cages above each brooder box is placed there for residual heat as they get older and need less heat. But whole rack was built to be outdoors if needed. Only changes I would do to put it outside is put more secure latches and build a slanted roof with a few feet of overhang front and back. But I do have a lean two roof overhang on one of my outbuildings and a roofed back porch/patio where I could also put it. As for lighting I do have a string of LED Christmas lights around my breeding cages on a timer for supplemented light for 14 1/2 hours for winter.

So I ended up doubling up two smaller drip pans to create the exact same coverage as the larger pan I was seeking but could not source here in Canada.

18 x 25, side by side becomes 36 x 25

The sought after drip pan was 36 x 25.

Here is the pan I am doubling up:
https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/BTE8216120?impressionRank=2

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was helpful. Smaller drip pans may also be easier to clean :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom