Marans

Jul 19, 2021
Hello again, been awhile since I've posted anything here!

I just got some new chicks and they were supposed to all be french white marans, but one came as a semi-gray and white color... I was wondering if it could be some genetic difference and is a splash that popped out of the egg instead haha

Any ideas?
I asked no substitutions on my order, so it should be a white maran, not a splash maran.

I'll add a picture of them altogether in a bit.

Attachments

• IMG-5818.jpg
    IMG-5818.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-5816.jpg
    IMG-5816.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-5883.jpg
    IMG-5883.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-5884.jpg
    IMG-5884.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-5885.jpg
    IMG-5885.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-5886.jpg
    IMG-5886.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 2
Where'd you order them from?
The gray one could be some sort of bbs.
Murray McMurray I believe is trying to start up a strand of white maran breeders (where I bought them from) but they don't have a ton, but thankfully I was able to get a few before they were out!

bbs would be Black/Blue splash? I'm not familiar with this abbreviation, sorry.

Murray McMurray I believe is trying to start up a strand of white maran breeders (where I bought them from) but they don't have a ton, but thankfully I was able to get a few before they were out!

bbs would be Black/Blue splash? I'm not familiar with this abbreviation, sorry.
Yes, bbs is blue/black splash. :] the fray one could have jumped ship from a different crate or got boxed by mistake. Or he could just be a darker chick. Time will tell

Yes, bbs is blue/black splash. :] the fray one could have jumped ship from a different crate or got boxed by mistake. Or he could just be a darker chick. Time will tell
Very true! I'll be keeping an eye on them to see how they feather out in the next couple weeks! I appreciate your help on figuring it out!

I don't think they're hatching blue or black splash marans at their hatchery though, the only others they have are cuckoo and black copper 🤷‍♀️ I guess I'm not sure, I was curious if whites could have recessive splash genes or something?

I guess I'm not sure, I was curious if whites could have recessive splash genes or something?
Negative. To get blue, you need blue or a bird that carries two copies of the blue gene - which are blue or splash. Neither cuckoo or BCM do.

However, just because a hatchery doesn't have a breed listed on their page, doesn't mean that they don't breed it. Could just not be available for mail order.

Id say that is the extra chick they put into every order and perhaps they shorted you a white Maran - but that chick isn't going to end up white.

Back
Top Bottom