Marek's and enteric coccidiosis

I'm NPIP, and as a breeder I've already agreed that, in the case of Mareks*, I will destroy my flock, decontaminate, wait, and then consider starting over. I understand that's pretty extreme in the view of some, but better that then to spread the disease further.

Where did Mareks enter your flock? If you purchased from a local breeder, they may need looking into. Coccidia are everywhere, and opportunistic - likely became uncontrollable when your chickens were already suffering from Mareks, and their immune system became weakened.

There are some people who maintain closed, Marek's positive, flocks very successfully. All their birds need to be vaccinated, and the vaccine doesn't prevent Mareks, it merely prevents the worst outcomes of Mareks - you frequently end up with a flock of carriers. That's not something I am personally willing to do.

Good luck, whatever you decide - and seriously consider looking into the source of your birds as a potential Mareks vector.

* and a small number of other diseases. A I of course, also Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Mycoplasma synoviae, and Pullorum-Typhoid (which hasn't been seen in commercial flocks in decades).
Hi! I have been searching for specifically mareks related things. My most recent suspicion has passed on. She was 3 months old and showed all the physical signs aside from her eyes. Eyes were normal. She became paralyzed and couldn’t use her legs, couldn’t lift her neck, and then became so weak she passed. I do not have the funds to send to the state for necropsy so after some research, did one at home. I have a few short videos displaying what I think could be tumors? I’m just not sure. Have you ever seen mareks rumors firsthand? If so, I would so appreciate any help in determining as I still have a small flock and would like to know if I should prepare for the worst for the rest of them.

I'm NPIP, and as a breeder I've already agreed that, in the case of Mareks*, I will destroy my flock, decontaminate, wait, and then consider starting over. I understand that's pretty extreme in the view of some, but better that then to spread the disease further.

Where did Mareks enter your flock? If you purchased from a local breeder, they may need looking into. Coccidia are everywhere, and opportunistic - likely became uncontrollable when your chickens were already suffering from Mareks, and their immune system became weakened.

There are some people who maintain closed, Marek's positive, flocks very successfully. All their birds need to be vaccinated, and the vaccine doesn't prevent Mareks, it merely prevents the worst outcomes of Mareks - you frequently end up with a flock of carriers. That's not something I am personally willing to do.

Good luck, whatever you decide - and seriously consider looking into the source of your birds as a potential Mareks vector.

* and a small number of other diseases. A I of course, also Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Mycoplasma synoviae, and Pullorum-Typhoid (which hasn't been seen in commercial flocks in decades).
My two year-old hens are still fine. Where did I get them, including ones that died of Marek's. My suspicion is Tractor Supply. I started there. Then I got a bunch from Cackle. My other possible suspicion is the few I got from a backyard breeder. But timing and loss was happening very early in my chicken career. So I'm fairly certain it was my original batch from TSC. My new ones are vaccinated and doing well. Thanks!

If you went the destroy/decontaminate path, how long would you wait? My chickens free-range so I'd have no way of treating the whole area. I could easily do the coop, not sure about their run.
Marek's virus can survive in environments for up to 2 years. Marek's doesn't translate through eggs, so either someone bring the virus to TSC chick bin or your breeder had it in his flock. I got my Marek's by buying pullets from a breeder too. If your future chicks are appropriately vaccinated by a hatchery, they should have about 95% chance to NOT becoming sick from Marek's but they will be carriers.

My two year-old hens are still fine. Where did I get them, including ones that died of Marek's. My suspicion is Tractor Supply. I started there. Then I got a bunch from Cackle. My other possible suspicion is the few I got from a backyard breeder. But timing and loss was happening very early in my chicken career. So I'm fairly certain it was my original batch from TSC. My new ones are vaccinated and doing well. Thanks!
Marek's most affect pullets. An adult chicken has much better chance to survive Marek's due to their stronger immune systems. Don't get me wrong, old chickens could still be killed by Marek's, but less likely. Some chickens with better immune systems, such as Egyptian Fayoumi and other Marek's resistant chicken types, can fight the disease themselves without vaccination.

Back
Top Bottom