marek's, wry neck, or mites? PLEASE HELP

yes i got some pictures today!
64605_dsc01562.jpg

64605_dsc01565.jpg

how she holds her head most the time:
64605_dsc01571.jpg

64605_dsc01573.jpg

the forth pic is blurry but if you can see, her head was actually literally upside down, kind of creepy..
her comb is all like shriveled up looking now, unlike before big and red. do her pupils look big to you? im not really sure but i thought maybe..

Such a pretty girl!!!
That is defintely different than how my blind girls holds her head! My guess would be the wry neck or some sort of head or neck injury. I think for both would be to supplement with vitamins to see if it will help. I know it will not be an overnight fix but over some time, you might see some improvement. The comb shriveling worries me though. Can you start a whole new post with these pics and maybe more people will respond. Maybe someone else has seen this before. I would put something in the title that you need help asap.....she has been going on like this for awhile. Gosh the poor girl!!! She looks healthy otherwise as far as weight and her feather condition.

ok i will do just that, but ill ask here too: what vitamins do i give her? where do i get them? how much to give? and exactly how to give them to her? im going to make a new post now, thanks sooo much you have been a big help

Quote:
Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol Essential Vitamins for Infants & Toddlers (Multivitamin Supplent Drops) 1 2/3 FL OZ (50ml) - About 3 drops (twice a day)

Vitamin E soft gel cap with Selenium - Cut the tip off of (1) gel cap and drip it in her mouth. (In my case with my Tom, I give him 3 gel caps of liquid. I drip it on a piece of bread and I feed it to him.) (twice a day)

I also give my Tom Turkey Gatorade or Pedialyte every few days. I try to give him hard boiled eggs, grits or other soft food to keep his strength up. With that wry neck, I'm sure it's hard to eat but he eats just fine. I'm just a worry wart.
hmm.png

You can purchase the vitamin drops at Wal-Mart for $7.87. I had to purchase the soft gel caps at a local vitamin store. I could not find it at Wal Mart but it may be at your local Wal Mart.

It will be a long recovery period. Good Luck.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

I am so sorry I couldn't be of more help to you!!

I give mine the polyvisol baby vitamins without iron. It is important to get the drops that do not have iron added. The recommended dosage is like 3 drops if giving by the dropper in her beak. I mix up moistened chick feed for all of my chickeys which is about 50 so, I add a dropperful to that.

If you will just be mixing up a little just for her, I would only add a couple drops but if you will be giving as a supplement to a larger group you could go half to full dropper depending. All of my guys loves the moistened chick feed and they think it is a special treat so you could try it with her to see if she likes it??? If not, maybe yogurt or cottage cheese???

I hope you are able to get her fixed up!!!! Crossing my fingers you get better answers on your other post! I am so glad you got those pictures today!!!

I have a cuckoo marans with the exact same symptoms - actually her neck is a little worse, and sometimes she walks around in circles - a lot of the time she holds it completely upside down - I would cull her, but otherwise she is happy and eats and drinks with no help from me.
All my chickens have been ill with MG, and apparently this can be a side effect of that in rare cases - I noticed some mites, so I also sevin dusted everything and everyone - but it didn't make any difference to the old neck

what is MG?
are you treating yours with the vitamins like ive been suggested? im going to try it and see what happens, if i ever get to the store to buy them!

I have tried olive leaf in their water, which is an antiviral and antibiotic and some vitamis I got at TSC, most of them are over it - but the Marans head never recovered. I think MG stands for mycoplasma something or other. I am going to try the Tylan 50 antibiotics next, but really I am thinking about culling, or waiting till they all die off then restarting afresh. Some of them just don't seem to be able to get over the illness.

Back
Top Bottom