Mareks?

Monacospa

Hatching
Feb 28, 2023
I think my chooks have Mareks. We rescued 4 silkie pullets together. 1 died suddenly with no symptoms when she was about 14 weeks old. Then another became sick. Firstly limping then getting wobbly on her feet until she couldn’t walk. We noticed her feet scales were raised so treated her for scaly mite but she deteriorated. She lost a lot of weight and couldn’t eat or drink without help. We gave her vitamins and antibiotics but she died. Now another is showing similar symptoms. I have 2 left and they are inseparable. If I try to remove the sick one the other cries for her.
The 4th one is very healthy. If it is Mareks and the 3rd one dies the 4th will be really lonely but I’m worried about bringing in new chickens in case they get it. I can’t give my 4th to another flock in case she is a carrier. Any advice.

Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?
How old are the Silkies?
What do you feed, including treats?
How long have you had them?
They were "rescued" - what does this mean?
What vitamins?
What antibiotics?
Do you have an existing flock?

Please post clear photos of the birds, their feet/legs (bottom of feet), their poop and how they are kept.

Hopefully with more information along with photos, we'll be able to make some suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom