Mass drying coffee grounds -too cool now?

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
So last winter I wanted to try coffee grounds badly on my poop trays, the PDZ was so dusty it made me cough and eyes burn after. So bad I ended up ditching it and scoping poop right off the wood trays.

Summer was so busy now it’s 50s for a high the next week or 2.
If I scamper out to the coffee shops can I dry this out outside on a tarp in time?

It does look dry but the heat is gone now.

Out of stock and spendy to ship to my zip anyway . . .

Things do dry out regardless of temperature. Maybe slower,,, but still do dry. Let me ask you about how much coffee grounds are you considering drying???
Volume, or weight.
If small amount, consider drying inside your oven on cookie sheets. Just like I dried out croutons I recently made.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-home-bakers-here.921333/post-27219916

Have you considered using Kitty litter in your trays?? There are the Low Dust varieties of Kitty Litter.

Also,,, have you considered Sand?? I know it is not dust free,, but the coarse sand is less dusty.

Things do dry out regardless of temperature. Maybe slower,,, but still do dry. Let me ask you about how much coffee grounds are you considering drying???
Volume, or weight.
If small amount, consider drying inside your oven on cookie sheets. Just like I dried out croutons I recently made.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-home-bakers-here.921333/post-27219916

Have you considered using Kitty litter in your trays?? There are the Low Dust varieties of Kitty Litter.

Also,,, have you considered Sand?? I know it is not dust free,, but the coarse sand is less dusty.
Yes sand is an option, just don't know which sand is ok. I thought playground sand was a no no. Can't recall why.

I've read that the coffee grounds can mold when wet so now I'm not sure this is best option. I don't want mold sitting on my trays and don't always scoop daily.

Back
Top Bottom