Mating injury? Hawk injury?

Jenny421

Songster
May 21, 2021
Update- I have her separate and cleaned her wound. There’s a flap of skin that’s come off from under her wing. I’ve left the skin, but she keep picking at it. How do you keep them from picking at their wounds? Also, if this is from the rooster (he’s a good rooster and is not rough with the hens), should I do something to prevent this. I’m adding a picture from when I cleaned her wound.

We had a hawk kill one our hens yesterday, so today we left the 8 hens and one rooster in the coop. When I let them out today, one hen had this wound. I’m not sure if it was from yesterday and I didn’t see it or if it is a mating injury. I’m going to separate her and clean it with betadine and put neosporin on it. She’s acting completely normal. Should I do anything different to treat the wound? And does this look like a mating injury?

Attachments

• 78BA0150-03CD-44EA-8E50-91565660C405.jpeg
    78BA0150-03CD-44EA-8E50-91565660C405.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here are the pictures

Attachments

• 6A265677-1217-4B68-9E92-8FCDD07AA213.jpeg
    6A265677-1217-4B68-9E92-8FCDD07AA213.jpeg
    858.5 KB · Views: 16
  • B94B9E0F-7F79-4F19-99FC-C9166FEB6D93.jpeg
    B94B9E0F-7F79-4F19-99FC-C9166FEB6D93.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 4C9D04CC-5B15-43CD-8864-B4FCC44CDE0B.jpeg
    4C9D04CC-5B15-43CD-8864-B4FCC44CDE0B.jpeg
    890.9 KB · Views: 16
Update- I have her separate and cleaned her wound. There’s a flap of skin that’s come off from under her wing. I’ve left the skin, but she keep picking at it. How do you keep them from picking at their wounds? Also, if this is from the rooster (he’s a good rooster and is not rough with the hens), should I do something to prevent this. I’m adding a picture from when I cleaned her wound.

We had a hawk kill one our hens yesterday, so today we left the 8 hens and one rooster in the coop. When I let them out today, one hen had this wound. I’m not sure if it was from yesterday and I didn’t see it or if it is a mating injury. I’m going to separate her and clean it with betadine and put neosporin on it. She’s acting completely normal. Should I do anything different to treat the wound? And does this look like a mating injury?
I am really curious to see what responses you get here. I found one of my hens wounded in that exact spot. It was horribly infected when at the point I discovered it. I really think my rooster is the cause due to mating. :(

Pictures above could have been a mating injury. If your roosters spurs are long/sharp then trimming them can help prevent this. I just use dog clippers and blunt them so they are dull. Roosters spurs will continue to grow out, and trimming them periodically helps prevent injuries to hens, and helps keep them from hindering your rooster, if they get very long they can get caught on things or make it hard for them to walk. Some spurs may even curve enough to grow back into the leg causing problems. I have a 7 year old roo that has spurs that curve downward towards the ground, if not kept trimmed they drag on the ground and trip him up.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-trim-a-roosters-spurs-and-how-not-to/

I am really curious to see what responses you get here. I found one of my hens wounded in that exact spot. It was horribly infected when at the point I discovered it. I really think my rooster is the cause due to mating. :(
Yes, I was curious too. It’s skinned from the top down so it could be from the rooster. Thankfully she’s doing much better. Still separated but healing. I hope yours improves!

Back
Top Bottom