Mating Injury progressing to not standing

MaximinusThrax

Hatching
May 12, 2023
Last month when I was out-of the country I had someone house sitting for me to take care of my dogs, rabbits, and chickens.

While I was gone one of my little Bantam roosters got really aggressive with one of my Brahma hens and left some pretty deep wounds under each wing.

Since the wounds were already old I wasn't able to suture them up so instead I'm trying to help her heal the best I can. Initially she was still up and moving around but then after about a week she started to only stand on one leg. Now she doesn't want to stand at all. She just lays there.

The wound doesn't smell bad and appears to be healing up pretty decent. She also has no issue eating or drinking water. Her appetite is still there like normal. She even laid an egg last week.

My concern is that she's not wanting to stand though. Initially I thought maybe it was because she's sore because the cuts were rather large, but now I'm getting more concerned.

I've been keeping her separated from the others and spraying Vetericyn Plus on her two times a day. I was using Banixx before but the smaller bottle ran out so I switched to Vetericyn.

I'm planning on getting Penicillin-G 300,000 later today and was reading that the dose is 100mg/kg injected 1/4 inch into the breast for 4 days alternating sides. My reason for this is I'm concerned with a potential bone infection since she's not standing up anymore on her own.

Does anyone have any advice? I have seen threads similar to this with mating injuries but haven't found one with my hens symptoms yet.

Breed: Brahma
Weight: ~5lbs she's a bit lean right now
Age of injury: 1 month
Eating: Yes
Drinking: Yes
Pooping: Yes
Alert: Yes

Edit: She's wet because we gave her a bath. Since she's been sitting for days she's been getting poop clumped in her butt so we've been trying to keep her clean.

Attachments

• 20230512_120212.jpg
    20230512_120212.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230512_124507.jpg
    20230512_124507.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230512_124518.jpg
    20230512_124518.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 13
Sorry I can’t help.
Any better in the meantime?

I mainly react to your post to bump it. Maybe someones finds it in the latest posts who can help. I have no experience with wounded chickens.

There are lots of great helpers on this forum, if you look for educators and hope they are good in helping injured chickens you can tag them for reliable answers.

Sorry I can’t help.
Any better in the meantime?

I mainly react to your post to bump it. Maybe someones finds it in the latest posts who can help. I have no experience with wounded chickens.

There are lots of great helpers on this forum, if you look for educators and hope they are good in helping injured chickens you can tag them for reliable answers.
I believe I may have gotten it figured out. I ended up giving her some antibiotics and did a more thorough assessment. Along with the deep wounds from mating she also had bumblefoot on one of her feet. I have since then cleaned it up, finished her antibiotics, and am in the healing stages now.

She's doing good so far. Eats a ton and drinks her electrolytes. Hopefully soon we will see her standing up and walking around again. Only time will tell at this point.

Thank you!

Welcome to BYC, by the way. I'm sorry your post wasn't responded to, but it sounds like you know what you are doing.

Do you need any help with the bumblefoot treatment? I can dig up some articles for you. It sounds like she is doing great, though.

Welcome to BYC, by the way. I'm sorry your post wasn't responded to, but it sounds like you know what you are doing.

Do you need any help with the bumblefoot treatment? I can dig up some articles for you. It sounds like she is doing great, though.
Thanks for the welcome! I've been a lurker for a while ever since my wife talked me into letting her get a "couple" chickens. Great community with lots of information.

As for the bumblefoot, I searched and read through SO many posts on here as well as articles online, so I think I'm good in that department, thanks!!!

I do have one question though. Do you happen to know of a vet book for chickens that's really good or highly recommended? For example I use a Merck manual for my dogs as well as another version for human related stuff, but I haven't researched an up to date one for chickens.

Any input on that would be greatly appreciated!

I don't actually know that, but wow, what a good question. If you have a moment maybe you could write up a thread about it? Someone on here has to know.

Do you happen to know of a vet book for chickens that's really good or highly recommended? For example I use a Merck manual for my dogs as well as another version for human related stuff, but I haven't researched an up to date one for chickens.
Welcome to BYC.

I don't know of any chicken specific ones, but there are these two avian veterinary text books in PDF format:

You should look into getting her a saddle once intergrati her back into the flock. We had to saddle our girls. Since we havnt had any mating injuries!!! Saddles are amazing.
Last month when I was out-of the country I had someone house sitting for me to take care of my dogs, rabbits, and chickens.

While I was gone one of my little Bantam roosters got really aggressive with one of my Brahma hens and left some pretty deep wounds under each wing.

Since the wounds were already old I wasn't able to suture them up so instead I'm trying to help her heal the best I can. Initially she was still up and moving around but then after about a week she started to only stand on one leg. Now she doesn't want to stand at all. She just lays there.

The wound doesn't smell bad and appears to be healing up pretty decent. She also has no issue eating or drinking water. Her appetite is still there like normal. She even laid an egg last week.

My concern is that she's not wanting to stand though. Initially I thought maybe it was because she's sore because the cuts were rather large, but now I'm getting more concerned.

I've been keeping her separated from the others and spraying Vetericyn Plus on her two times a day. I was using Banixx before but the smaller bottle ran out so I switched to Vetericyn.

I'm planning on getting Penicillin-G 300,000 later today and was reading that the dose is 100mg/kg injected 1/4 inch into the breast for 4 days alternating sides. My reason for this is I'm concerned with a potential bone infection since she's not standing up anymore on her own.

Does anyone have any advice? I have seen threads similar to this with mating injuries but haven't found one with my hens symptoms yet.

Breed: Brahma
Weight: ~5lbs she's a bit lean right now
Age of injury: 1 month
Eating: Yes
Drinking: Yes
Pooping: Yes
Alert: Yes

Edit: She's wet because we gave her a bath. Since she's been sitting for days she's been getting poop clumped in her butt so we've been trying to keep her clean.
We used wound ointment and put a saddle on our girl. Saddles work amazing for mating injury. We haven't had a mating injury since. We didn't realize our hen had a wound. When we found it, it was bad. It seemed to heal fairly quick with a saddle and ointment tho!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230521_181306_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_181306_Photos.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom