Maturity Question

thlayli

Songster
7 Years
Jan 18, 2017
Norwalk, IA
I have a 16 wk old cockerel and some 20ish week old pullets. The cockerel has started mating with one of the pullets in particular (as in, mating ONLY with this female), and I'm curious if it means she is starting to reach or has reached PoL. This is the first breeding behavior I have seen displayed in my flock. None of my pullets are laying yet. Does a randy rooster signify sexual maturity in the pullets as well, or is he just feeling his hormones?

I have a 16 wk old cockerel and some 20ish week old pullets. The cockerel has started mating with one of the pullets in particular (as in, mating ONLY with this female), and I'm curious if it means she is starting to reach or has reached PoL. This is the first breeding behavior I have seen displayed in my flock. None of my pullets are laying yet. Does a randy rooster signify sexual maturity in the pullets as well, or is he just feeling his hormones?
Sounds like you have a good male, usually they would start trying to mate them all at that age. If he's only mating the one I'd guess that bird is close to laying, either because he knows and/or she's letting him because she's ready.

Does she have a bright red comb?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Yes, she has a nice red comb and her wattles look good, too. That's another reason I was wondering if she's reaching PoL -- she /looks/ like a mature hen.

Attachments

• 20230226_164554.jpg
    20230226_164554.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 5
Keep a watch - the girls might need some peace from him for the next few weeks until more are laying. If she is not stressed, don't worry about it, but cockerels can be hard on flock mate pullets. I see that your pullets are slightly older than the cockerel but at this stage a few weeks is a moot difference.

Mrs K

Keep a watch - the girls might need some peace from him for the next few weeks until more are laying. If she is not stressed, don't worry about it, but cockerels can be hard on flock mate pullets. I see that your pullets are slightly older than the cockerel but at this stage a few weeks is a moot difference.

Mrs K
: D so far it doesn't seem to happen more than a couple times a day, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on him. So far he has been a good boy and I don't want him beating up on this pullet, or any of the pullets. She doesnt seem very ruffled from the attention. And his female hatchmates are starting to show signs of reaching maturity, so maybe in a couple weeks he can spread the love around lol

Does a randy rooster signify sexual maturity in the pullets as well, or is he just feeling his hormones?
It means his hormones are telling him to mate with them. At his age it is not about him fertilizing eggs that are not being laid, it is about flock dominance. In the mating act the one on bottom is accepting the dominance of the ne on top, at least temporarily. That can be willingly or by force. In your case it sounds like willingly, at least for now. Often with immature pullets and cockerels it is by force, which can be hard to watch.

I put more faith in the comb and wattles turning red than in a pullet squatting to signal onset of lay. Squatting is not a bad sign but I once saw a 13 week old pullet squat for a 13 week old cockerel and it was at least another month and a half before she laid an egg. And I've seen pullets with pretty yellow combs start to lay. All any of that stuff is are signs that she might possibly start soon.

Sometimes it can get rough, sometimes it is not bad at all. His behavior can change as he gets a little older and the hormones take more control, especially with the other pullets, but it sure sounds like it is going great so far.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a good male, usually they would start trying to mate them all at that age. If he's only mating the one I'd guess that bird is close to laying, either because he knows and/or she's letting him because she's ready.

Does she have a bright red comb?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Agreed. My experience is when hens are just a few days/week away from first lay they will cower down in submission to me or the rooster. Young roosters will interpret that as a call to mate.

Back
Top Bottom