Mauve ameraucana questions

Howling hills

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2020
ECCD81F3-748D-4124-8530-F98F56BF8AA6.jpeg
I was sold some chicks as “mauve ameraucana pullets 99% sure they were female”. But I ended up with this rooster. Does anybody know what breed he likely is?Can anyone give me some information on mauve ameraucanas? Are they a cross breed or is this considered one of the standard colours for ameraucanas?Thanks in advance.

He's probably a project color mauve Ameraucana.

No mauve isn't one of the accepted varietes (buff, wheaten, blue wheaten, black, blue, white, silver, brown red, and self blue (lavender)), but I have seen several breeders working on mauve Ameraucanas.

Does anyone know if this bird would have 2 copies of the dominant blue egg gene? I have a bunch of ameraucana hens from a different source and was wondering if I should breed him or find a ameraucana rooster elsewhere.

Or I believe you can also send a feather sample and have a test done.

A post from @DarJones:

Have to raise at least a dozen pullets from a rooster to verify he is homozygous for the blue egg trait. Cost of hatching 2 dozen chicks, raising only the females, waiting for them to lay to ensure they all lay blue eggs, plus maintaining the rooster in the meantime can easily run $200 to $400 or more. Consider that you have to trial mate at least 4 roosters in this way to find 1 that is homozygous, you can guess it gets expensive fast. Costs $30 U.S. to have DNA run on a feather sample. Run it for 4 roosters and odds are at least 1 will be homozygous blue, 1 homozygous non-blue, and two will be heterozygous blue.

The Silverudd's group has arranged for tests to be run by shipping feather samples from the U.S. to Germany. I requested permission to ship my samples with theirs. Barring incident, I have 18 samples on the way to Germany by March 15th.

https://www.silveruddsblue.org/resources

Its a project color is my guess they used a chocolate orp and an blue ameraucana to make it so would only have one copy of blue egg gene

View attachment 2876173I was sold some chicks as “mauve ameraucana pullets 99% sure they were female”. But I ended up with this rooster. Does anybody know what breed he likely is?Can anyone give me some information on mauve ameraucanas? Are they a cross breed or is this considered one of the standard colours for ameraucanas?Thanks in advance.
How old is he out of curiosity? He has really well developed feathering and comb, and I just want to gauge development. He’s pretty!

Back
Top Bottom