May The Odds Be In Their Favor!!!!

LoveOfFeathers

Songster
Jun 29, 2023
Central N.C.
Long story. My showgirl laid fourteen eggs that I collected and stashed on top of her cage in a dog bowl. She was broody for at least a week, maybe longer on nothing when I moved her to a different pen. Five days after relocating her and her rooster, I decided to set my precious stash of eggs. So some of these eggs were about three weeks old when I finally set them, maybe older? Ziggy, my broody cochin bantam couldn’t handle but ten eggs. I put the remaining four eggs in my serama pen, hoping that one of the girls would go broody. Almost two weeks after Ziggy started downloading chicks, Peaches (my serama x oegb hen) went broody, i candled at about seven days and two were developing. Ziggy hatched seven beautiful silkie chicks on November 10th, three eggs never piped and I gave them til end of day 24. Peaches should be getting close to hatch day for her two little nuggets. To say I’m excited is an understatement.

It sounds like you're going to have lots of chicks!

I too have defied the odds and set 2-3 week-old eggs that had been in the refrigerator. I don't think experts would ever recommend that, and yeah, expectedly, the hatch rate goes down, but still, some hatch, and yes, it's exciting!

I hope you have a stupendous and very successful hatch!!

Update on Peach’s two eggs. I candled them and they looked all odd and there wasn’t any movement.
On the bright side, Peach’s sister has been sitting on eggs since about the 17th and that little serama x oegb was on eleven eggs so I gave five to Peachy. This will be her third batch of chicks this year. I don’t have the heart to not let her hatch something, she’s such a good momma.

She is broody, the darn little bantams don’t seem to understand that daylight hours are shorter and colder days are ahead. They see eggs and omg they go broody. Lol. Serama x old English game bantam.

Back
Top Bottom