Me and my silkie need help

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angel and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Everywhere, anywhere, in your yard
I have a paint silkie who just started laying after a broody spell 2 days ago.....only problem......well not just one. My rooster (also paint silkie) is constantly on top of her! She is his favorite but I think he is taking it to a extreme. As far as I see he mated her 3 days on a row (probably multiple times on each day) and mated her 2 times in 2 hours this morning. She is also the lowest on the pecking order and has no buddies to dust bathe and cuddle with. She is also picked on by the other hens (most of which are standard size). She loves the rooster and sleeps next to him. I don't want to separate her, I always worry about her as she is my baby and I love her very much.

So sorry! I would think she'd be fine as long as she's not bleeding. If she starts bleeding separate her definitely as they might peck her to death. Let me know how it goes

So sorry! I would think she'd be fine as long as she's not bleeding. If she starts bleeding separate her definitely as they might peck her to death. Let me know how it goes
Definitely! If she bleeds I will find the culprit and they would be sold and she would be separated. I will let you know how it goes.

I have a paint silkie who just started laying after a broody spell 2 days ago.....only problem......well not just one. My rooster (also paint silkie) is constantly on top of her! She is his favorite but I think he is taking it to a extreme. As far as I see he mated her 3 days on a row (probably multiple times on each day) and mated her 2 times in 2 hours this morning. She is also the lowest on the pecking order and has no buddies to dust bathe and cuddle with. She is also picked on by the other hens (most of which are standard size). She loves the rooster and sleeps next to him. I don't want to separate her, I always worry about her as she is my baby and I love her very much.
As long as the boys aren't exposing or tearing skin she should be ok but the extra pecking from the other hens will expose more vulnerable areas for the boys to cut. As a fellow silkie fan I would give her a pampering in a brooder or private space to relax, giving the active boy(s) to pick another mate to satisfy and reset the order a little. Allow some together time(free range or yard) if supervised even to not exclude her in the flock.

How’s she doing now? I agree that as long as she isn’t being injured or bleeding then it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
I was in a very similar situation when only 1 Silkie out of my 6 chicks survived a predator attack, she was very lonely to start with and bottom of the pecking order. I considered getting her a mate but thought that could cause even more issues, in the end they started to accept her a bit but they still wouldn’t choose to dust bath with her or anything. I think they learn to be just fine by themselves, as long as they have other chickens nearby they seem to be alright foraging by themselves. 🙂

How’s she doing now? I agree that as long as she isn’t being injured or bleeding then it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
I was in a very similar situation when only 1 Silkie out of my 6 chicks survived a predator attack, she was very lonely to start with and bottom of the pecking order. I considered getting her a mate but thought that could cause even more issues, in the end they started to accept her a bit but they still wouldn’t choose to dust bath with her or anything. I think they learn to be just fine by themselves, as long as they have other chickens nearby they seem to be alright foraging by themselves. 🙂
She's much better, we built a coop for the bantams So she'll be in there now and my rooster is not mating her as much! Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom