Mean hen

Bigbirdy7

In the Brooder
May 12, 2023
I have a hen she is about 18 weeks old i had another rooster hatched with her but sadly we had to rehome him. Yesterday I brought in 2 more hens and everything seemed alright but tonight as I was putting them away my hen took a couple pecks at one of the new ones so I moved them both to the duck coop. What should I do?

Well first off, most folks here will tell you to quarentine new birds for a time before just putting them in with yours. You never know what sickness, pest, or disease you may bring in.
Second, all flocks establish a pecking order. It's not pretty or "nice" but is non negotiable for your chickens. To us humans it looks like unkindness or someone bullying or being "mean", but the reality is that a chicken community will have order. Someone is always on top, and someone will always be on the bottom. In this case your home girl is letting the new comers know that she is on top.
Space is a big necessity, as long as you have enough room, roosting space, extra feeding stations and things to keep everyone occupied, with time everyone will settle into their places. Chickens are flock animals and do better together.
I recomend getting them out from the ducks and back with the chickens.
A little pecking is to be expected.
Good luck!

How long to quarantine new birds? Husband brought 6 new ones & put them in lg dog crates (connected) but put them in same area as our other 4. That didn't last. Have been outside the (4 chicken's) area. But 3 of the 4 can get out & keep catching them outside dog crates, checking out new chickens.
New chickens mix breeds, as the 4 are. New girls all around 1 y/o. Have noticed one has a bit of a coughl, but putting RX into water.

How long to quarantine new birds? Husband brought 6 new ones & put them in lg dog crates (connected) but put them in same area as our other 4. That didn't last. Have been outside the (4 chicken's) area. But 3 of the 4 can get out & keep catching them outside dog crates, checking out new chickens.
New chickens mix breeds, as the 4 are. New girls all around 1 y/o.
Yeah, that's not quarantine at all.
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Have noticed one has a bit of a coughl, but putting RX into water.
What kind of RX?
'VetRX' is nothing more than like vicks vaporub.

Back
Top Bottom