Mean rooster

Ambrosia17

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2017
I have 2 hens and 2 roosters. One of the roosters is quite mean. Hes been antisocial since day 1, has attacked my cats and my 90 pound dog. Hes even challenged me multiple times. I have no fear of him and when he foes attack me I give him a run for his money. Ive heard roosters are mean but do I have to put up with this? Is it just the animals natural instinct or is he just a jerk?

He's just being territorial. You have to handle roosters a lot when they're young and make sure they know you're the boss. When he shows signs of aggression stomp at him and pick him up. If that doesn't work you'll just have to keep him locked up all the time or get rid of him.

I have 2 hens and 2 roosters. One of the roosters is quite mean. Hes been antisocial since day 1, has attacked my cats and my 90 pound dog. Hes even challenged me multiple times. I have no fear of him and when he foes attack me I give him a run for his money. Ive heard roosters are mean but do I have to put up with this? Is it just the animals natural instinct or is he just a jerk?
You don't have to put up with it. It sounds like it's a repeated behavior that isn't improving. I would either give him away or eat him. For two hens one rooster is more than enough.

Mean rooster=good soup!
An agrassive rooster can inflict some very serious wounds especially on little children, they don't have a place in a Back yard flock, I never take chances!

It's not just a natural instinct. Wild jungle fowl flee when humans are nearby. There are plenty of good tempered roosters out there that are a joy to own, but a roo that is repeatedly attacking people and dogs is not one of them.

No way do you have to put up with that. Mean roosters don't last around here. We just sold one yesterday and it's been so much more peaceful around here today. Now hopefully #2 continues to behave himself. There are many many good roosters out there.

Thank you all so much for your advice. Id feel bad eating him for it if it was natural behavior but my other rooster is soooooo nice. Ok well this is our first... We knew it would happen someday. Wish us luck!

Back
Top Bottom