Meat Bird Hybrids?

We raised two or three batches of the cornish cross from Tractor Supply. We've raised 55 at a time.

It's only been about a week and a half, so we will see. He's huge and much more colorful than the cornish cross.
If he got 5 toes he may taste better, but you need to keep him as a breeder. I know they use two different pairs and breed the offspring's together to create the Cornish cross hybrids.

But that's kind of what I'm wondering...
I have some Bresse/Cuckoo Lemon Orpington and Bresse/Australorp eggs in the incubator. I hope I get one like yours.
I have an order for Cornish roasters and white Plymouth rocks from McMurray Hatchery scheduled for April 5. I'll be experimenting with these when they grow up.

Last edited:
If he got 5 toes he may taste better, but you need to keep him as a breeder. I know they use two different pairs and breed the offspring's together to create the Cornish cross hybrids.
The Faverolle toes are different. I'll have to look in the morning.

I should say the barred hen is a Plymouth. We had 6 or so. But now we are down to 2. We experienced predation.

So are you saying they use four different breeds to create cornish cross?

If so do you know which four breeds?

I should say the barred hen is a Plymouth. We had 6 or so. But now we are down to 2. We experienced predation.

Secret and they actually used like 3 generations to get to the cornishX of today

I think it starts with two pairs from different parents (same breed) and they used standard white Cornish paired with white Plymouth Rocks and alternated the male from one breed to female on the second pair. AB and CD and then bred the babies together to get the Cornish hybrid. I saw a chart online, but can't remember where...

I am experimenting with Bresse/Cuckoo Lemon Orpington and Australorp/Bresse. I want to see how their offsprings turn out. The Bresse chickens mature faster than other heritage breeds, similar to Plymouth rocks. My Lemon Orpington line grows big (10 to 13lbs), but they take long to grow. My Australorp line produces a lot of eggs, but they seem smaller.

My Bresse roosters come from different farms and they look different. One has shades of tan high light on white and the other is white with black bleeding through. I used my black Australorp hens with the one with black bleeding through to see if I can bring back the original pencil color Bresse. Also the rooster with black bleeding through had a black dot on yellow fluff as a chick, so I may be able to get a sex link.

I also have a couple Jersey Giant/Bresse eggs in my incubator. Although, I put my breeders back together, I could tell which egg came from my single Jersey Giant hen, her eggs are the biggest and she is the heaviest of all the hens, but she don't lay as much eggs as the Orpington and Australorp.

Last edited:

I found the video link to the pairing of meat bird parents........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom