Meat tractors, predator proof

I have a tractor made out of grid panels like your talking about its about 8x12 holding 50 cornish.Was really worried about predators after we had a buff hen taken from the yard in broad daylight.Ended up getting a dog(great pyrenees) We just make sure the dog's cable run is close to the tractor.

Besides making the tractor heavy enough, strong, etc. I also suggest using predator deterents such as dog hair, urine, etc. to scare them off before they get close in the first place.

Thie is how I attempted to predator proof my tractor. The hardwire cloth should prevent anything from digging under it. I really doubt anything could get through this tractor. I suppose anything is possible. I have a 36 acre woods right benind me, and in 7 weeks, nothing has messed with them. I do pee around it often, I think that might help. A tractor is the only way to go IMHO. Less mess and the birds seem much happier and heathier. I have only lost one out of thirty some I started with. They are much bigger this time at 7 weeks. I was going to do some at 7 weeks and the rest at 9 weeks. I changed my mind, they're all goin in Thursday. I should have a nice pile of meat for freezer camp. I fed them 12/12 with a custom mixed 23% protein feed this time. I think that may be another reason why they are so much bigger.

16513_meaties_002.jpg
[/img]

16513_meaties_003.jpg
[/img]

Can't wait to grill some next weekend!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. Yes you can. Those guys are going to freezer camp tomorrow. I figured out a way to get them out easily from the front. Just set the feeder outside the tractor by the front of it, and they'll be lined up to get put into the crates.

16513_102_4412.jpg
[/img]

I made a pvc tractor for my meaties, and the first night, I lost 4 birds. They now are in a predator proof tractor.

I used chicken wire on the floor, and hardware cloth on the sides and chicken wire on the top (doubled) along with a roosting area (originally made it for my BR chicks), and the meaties climb the ladders and sleep up top at night with the BR chicks. In these pics I have a boat sail over a section the tractor due to all of the rain to keep their food dry. Easy to remove on nice days.

tractor1a.jpg

tractor1b.jpg

tractor1d.jpg

I can pull this around with my lawn tractor. and they have access to fresh grass even without the extra fenced in area to run in. Granted the extra fenced in area is NOT predator proof, but the tractor is. So I simply just open the door and that closes the pen so they can play throughout the day and at night I just close up when I put the big girls to bed. It's worked wonderfully and the meaties are looking good!

Hope this can give you some ideas--I think pics are excellent idea popper uppers!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom