Medication question NON-EMERGENCY

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
I just performed my second necropsy in 2 weeks for dead hens. It turned out to be very different deaths (1 cancer, 1 heart failure), so this is a theoretical question. I was ready to give my entire flock a round of tylosin injections if the 2 had the same cause of death.
The question is about my rooster. He had tylosin injections about one month ago for an unrelated infection. IF I would have had to treat the flock, would it have harmed my rooster to have 2 courses of antibiotics within month? I've looked all over and can't find any info on dosage frequency. Thanks.

I doubt any of us could find information about when is the next time we could administer a particular antibiotic to the same chicken, unless we were vets. If this were me, I'd think it's fine as the first treatment was a month ago.

When I looked up tylosin, I found the withdrawal period for cows is 21 or 28 days, depending which site, meaning it's out of their systems in as little as three weeks. How to compare a cow to a chicken though is the question.

I would put them all on probiotics after you treat them, especially the rooster.

I doubt any of us could find information about when is the next time we could administer a particular antibiotic to the same chicken, unless we were vets. If this were me, I'd think it's fine as the first treatment was a month ago.

When I looked up tylosin, I found the withdrawal period for cows is 21 or 28 days, depending which site, meaning it's out of their systems in as little as three weeks. How to compare a cow to a chicken though is the question.

I would put them all on probiotics after you treat them, especially the rooster.
Thanks. Yes, I give all my animals probiotics after any antibiotic course.

Back
Top Bottom