mereks carrying silkie hatching eggs...

polar peckers

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Has anyone had a flock or hen that has probably had mereks but never showed signs hatch eggs? And if so did you let her keep them? OR (and this is my first time hatching) did you pull the eggs..OR chicks before or after hatch? I do plan on vaccinating chicks myself once hatched. Just wondering how this might play out.

What makes you think your girl has mereks if she doesn't have symptoms? Has it gone through your flock? Personally I would be cautious and pop the eggs in an incubator if your chook has mereks or your flocks been exposed as they are born without immunity

haha i like your farm name, been workin on one myself, thanks for reply and it makes sense but as a certified chkn nut job i ordered too many eggs and the incubator is full! Yes mereks passed through the flock and I have one chkn with a CAT EYE!! but this silkie never showed much stress...idk as a chkn mom and with a toddler I just hope im not about to step in a futile egg tastrophy...horrible chick deaths n traumas all around. #farm life!

Silkie hatched 5 chicks! First try! ALL FANCY and now I wait to see how horrible this goes....Ill let ya all know😩

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_1643428.jpg
    IMG_20200515_1643428.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 5
Still super healthy and growing at 3 weeks now no sign of Mereks! What I have been reading though the incubation period is long with Mereks and I do not consider myself in the clear. So much confusing info online)We DID vaccinate all chicks at one week of age, except one that was vacc. at 2 days old. SO waiting and loving the best chicks in the world! (though possibly doomed)

still alive. just for record im thinking it was not mereks. I now have 17 chickens!

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_1113073.jpg
    IMG_20200610_1113073.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom