Metal Waterers... leaching something?

I use metal waterers, and am frustrated by what seems to me to be a quality issue. In 'the good old days' they lasted better, IMO. My newer ones are doing the same thing, and corroding way too soon. Not happy!
The chickens seem fine, but I'm also wondering about this. I should contact the manufacturer, but haven't done it.
Mary

Thank you. Is it harmful? Why would it be leaching? I did not put the ACS in it.

Galvanized coating is about 100% zinc, which isn't toxic except in maybe excessive doses, but I personally wouldn't use a corroded waterer.

Do you happen to know the pH of your water (well or city?), or do you possibly put apple cider vinegar in the water. I once washed my car with well water and it etched the clear coat (because I didn't dry it).

I don't know if it is harmful or not but that is the reason I don't buy those waterers anymore. I think it is quality realated my older ones never did it i'm talking maybe 10 years older. Does seem to be worse if it gets warm. Noticed brand new chick waterer looked oily and it was warm of course in the brooder. Swapped out new pretty one for old ugly one and no more oil. :)
Thank you. Is it harmful? Why would it be leaching? I did not put the ACS in it.

I wonder if the galvanized waterers are made in China (dumb question, I know). I've been less than impressed with the plastic on some things I've bought that were made in China. The surface degraded into a gooey, sticky mess after a while.

Back
Top Bottom