Mice getting past my apron

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I have a 25x25 foot run with an 8x10 coop attached. The coop is inside the run with the fencing connecting to two of the coops walls. It’s 10ft tall with welded wire as the main wire. HC 4ft up the welded wire, inside and out, and a 2ft apron sticking out. There’s 2ft of wire and wood buried under the perimeter as well. This was a hasty build when we had to move our chickens. I have seen rodents around the run but not in the coop. I have seen them come out from under the snow at the edge of my apron. Are they tunneling under it? And do those repellant granules work? They could climb over since the welded wire has holes they can fit through but I have yet to see that. Mostly I see the mice/ voles on the ground.

This is a temporary build and will be getting ripped down when we move house. So how do I make the next one better? I do not have a picture of my run and the apron is covered in snow. I thought that might not be much help.

Mice are most active at night. It would be simple for them to climb the HC and go into the run that way.
To prevent it, you need to make sure there are no gaps greater than 1/2" anywhere into your setup. That means 1/2" hardware cloth all the way up to a solid roof. If you can't do this, you will be battling the mice.

Mice are most active at night. It would be simple for them to climb the HC and go into the run that way.
To prevent it, you need to make sure there are no gaps greater than 1/2" anywhere into your setup. That means 1/2" hardware cloth all the way up to a solid roof. If you can't do this, you will be battling the mice.
I figured more HC was the solution. I’m glad this run is only temporary and I’m already dreaming of my new setup.

I have set traps and am catching them. I switched the way I feed my flock too which I think has helped a bit.

Back
Top Bottom