Mice

It's a learning curve, for sure!
This year I bought the Victor metal live traps, and they work really well. I set them when locking the coop at night, and try hard to get out there in the morning to drive the mice to new 'country homes' far from here. If it's been too long, the poor little guys die of dehydration, also not a good end.
And I quit counting heads after reaching 140!!!
No way could snap traps have been as effective, and I too won't intentionally drown them.
The chickens go after mice during the day, so the mice only come out at night, and the coop is closed to cats and any other predators then.
Mary

You can't trap your way out of a rodent infestation because if you do the vacant territory will attract a new breeding pair and a few months later you are back at square one. The only sure way of permanently solving a rodent problem is to stop feeding them. Bulk feed in metal barrels, a well designed treadle feeder that is actually rat proof, and cleaning the debri and cover that the rodents are using to get to and from the coop.

Howard E. is a long time poster on this forum and has always had the best advice. Below is a post of his that I re-post when I see another rodent thread with some of his best threads on rodent control. People won't search forums for answers so re-posting is the only way to help them and educate others. Here is Howard E's old post and my take on his advice in a short version:

""To the OP (and others like them), if you will spend the time, everything you need to know about rats and how to get rid of them will be found in the links below......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-the-video-series.1337456/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-101.1283827/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-proof-feeder-review.1180514/#post-18610285

This last one is a review of a rat proof chicken feeder built and sold by a BYC member, who is a staunch advocate for the plan of getting rid of rats by starving them out. Remove all sources of feed and they will be forced to move on or starve to death. If you are firmly against the use of poison bait blocks......for whatever reason.......then this is one of the best actions you can take. Bulk food in metal trash cans.....chicken feed in metal rat proof feeders. Can't get to the feed and birds do not spill and waste feed that the rats can survive on."

And the short version of Howard's post? Sanitation, exclusion, elimination.

Sanitation, bulk feed in metal cans or barrels with tight fitting lids, a treadle feeder, clean up the avenues of movement so the rodents have no cover to protect them from their natural predators. In my opinion and experience this is the quickest, surest, and cheapest way to solve a rodent problem.

Exclusion, plugging the holes and building a Fort Knox chicken coop and not leaving an opening for free range. Tough to do and expensive but it could work for rats.

Elimination, poison and traps. Problem is that rats are smart and will quickly learn to avoid both traps and poison bait. Were you to clean them out, the lack of sanitation would mean a new population of rodents would move right in. And there is risk and no end to the process, keeping fresh bait out. However, if you have done your sanitation using poison becomes effective as the rats are starving and will likely try the poison bait. Not needed though, they will leave in a few days as long as you are not feeding the rodents with a compost pile or other animal feed. Not all will leave, your area will have a natural carrying capacity for rodents, natural feed, but that natural ability to sustain rodents is quite small and the natural predators keep them in check and under cover as the rodents hustle to find this natural food.

Do a forum search on "rats chickens" and you will find most of the old wives tales exposed and read of long epic battles against the rodents. Sanitation, exclusion, or elimination all have associated costs but you are already paying for the feed and will recover the initial costs quickly with the first method.

Good luck and remember, it isn't just the stolen feed, disease and predators come with rodents.

Back
Top Bottom