Middle Georgia Winter Preparation

This winter will be my first winter with my chickens in their coop/run. We live in middle Georgia, USA, so the winters tend to be mild. I'm not worried about the girls getting cold--the coop is not drafty. However, the outdoor temperatures can, and will, dip below freezing on many nights. I have a 20 gallon plastic barrel with horizontal nipples for their water. Should I be concerned about possible freezing temperatures? Has anybody had any experience (good or bad) with these nipples in below-freezing temperatures? Last winter we had a rare freeze (16 degrees F or so), which wreaked havoc on wells and other plumbing in the area. I don't have power to the coop/run, but I think I may be able to set up some sort of temporary heater arrangement with a battery if the temps dip down like that again this winter. Am I overthinking it? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I've never had a plastic waterer not crack when it freezes. IF it freezes it might crack. If you get freezing temps I would just move them inside for the season and get a heated bowl for water or a metal waterer so it doesn't get broken.

In case it wasn't mentioned yet - you need to do nothing to the coop but ensure the roosts are not subject directly to drafts/wind and do not cover your ventilation.You're plenty far south that your lowest temperatures are plenty warm enough for chickens to handle with their own permanent feather jackets.

Back
Top Bottom