Midget white or burban red

Reelability

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2022
Hello I'm in north east south carolina on about 50 acres.. I have chickens and not many problems with preditors except on white birds... I'm wanting to get heritage breed that's tasty and will hatch off some young.. I would like something that'll free range along with my chickens.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read that the midget Whites are best tasting( I understand everyone's taste is different) only reason why I'm considering them.. My first post so go easy on me please

Hello I'm in north east south carolina on about 50 acres.. I have chickens and not many problems with preditors except on white birds... I'm wanting to get heritage breed that's tasty and will hatch off some young.. I would like something that'll free range along with my chickens.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read that the midget Whites are best tasting( I understand everyone's taste is different) only reason why I'm considering them.. My first post so go easy on me please
All of the heritage varieties taste pretty much the same if they are fed the same.

If your predators go for white birds, I would stay away from Midget Whites or any of the other white varieties.

You can check out many of the heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

All of the heritage varieties taste pretty much the same if they are fed the same.

If your predators go for white birds, I would stay away from Midget Whites or any of the other white varieties.

You can check out many of the heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.
Yeah I was debating on keeping the midgets in run if they were really worth it taste wise... I'd rather free range but I'm new so was looking for any and all suggestions.. Thank you for your reply

I've been tinkering in bourbon reds about a year now I've only ate one so far and it was fried turkey breast. It tasted just like well fried turkey breast maybe baked or smoked is different I dunno. As far as free ranging these birds I'd probably advise against that if you want em for yourself. I let mine out occasionally under supervision and my hen likes to jump up on the pen roof 8 feet up and look around. I've been lucky so far she comes back down but if she was to get a wild hair which I've noticed they will do occasionally as decided that the pine tree a half mile away looks like a good roost there's nothing I could do to stop her. My neighbor has a 4 foot chainlink fence and my other hen likes to hurdle that and chase grasshoppers. There again if she decided she's running that way all I'd be able to do is wave bye lol. As far as temperment they seem to stay pretty calm unless she has babies the tom hasn't attacked any of us yet but he's only a year old. I've never dealt with the midget whites but they look interesting.

I've been tinkering in bourbon reds about a year now I've only ate one so far and it was fried turkey breast. It tasted just like well fried turkey breast maybe baked or smoked is different I dunno. As far as free ranging these birds I'd probably advise against that if you want em for yourself. I let mine out occasionally under supervision and my hen likes to jump up on the pen roof 8 feet up and look around. I've been lucky so far she comes back down but if she was to get a wild hair which I've noticed they will do occasionally as decided that the pine tree a half mile away looks like a good roost there's nothing I could do to stop her. My neighbor has a 4 foot chainlink fence and my other hen likes to hurdle that and chase grasshoppers. There again if she decided she's running that way all I'd be able to do is wave bye lol. As far as temperment they seem to stay pretty calm unless she has babies the tom hasn't attacked any of us yet but he's only a year old. I've never dealt with the midget whites but they look interesting.
Thanks for the reply.. Yeah judging by your comment they're staying in a coop lol.. Thanks for the great info I appreciate it .. Fingers crossed I'll be hatching some off to one day that's my goal

Back
Top Bottom