Might be the wrong place but I got a fertilized store bought egg

I am confused I thought only hens were at the egg farms but I bought cage free eggs and one had a bullseye so I’m confused
First, cage free is just a term that doesn't mean anything other than the chickens are not kept in cages. It says nothing about how much room they have, if the ever see daylight, if ever see grass, or if they ever get to walk on dirt. It certainly says nothing about flock make-up. Cage-free is basically a marketing term that doesn't mean anything but it makes you feel good.

I was going to ask where you got those eggs but it really doesn't matter if they came from a major supermarket, a small grocery, a "health food" store, or anywhere else. Most commercial eggs do come from hatcheries with an all-hen flock but not all. It is always possible to find a fertile egg in any egg carton, even from a supermarket of a national brand.

Sometimes hatcheries sell some eggs instead of hatching every one, especially out of prime hatching season. I knew a breeder who was in a consortium developing a new color of Ameraucana that sold her excess chickens, especially cockerels, to a "natural foods" restaurant for meat and sold her excess eggs. I'm not sure where her excess eggs went. Then there is parthenogenesis where the eggs are self-fertile with no rooster around. Some parthenogenesis eggs will actually hatch though most will not make through to hatch.

There are many different reasons you could get a fertile egg from the store.

This is the carton I saw the egg while making breakfast and didn’t have my phone on me, 2 or 3 of them had very prominent bullseyes
02ACF6C9-F294-42AB-B09D-C138AC38F23F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom