Minneapolis Coop Design Requirements

Minneapolisa

Hatching
Feb 12, 2023
The city requires that the coop have electricity, and a heater.

Does anyone know what that means exactly? Meaning, do we have to have the coop wired up like a house, or do cities allow running extension cords? The coop will be right next to our garage and we had figured we could run outdoor waterproof extension cords from there.

Also, how do you choose the correct size of Sweeter Heater for a coop?

Good advice so far. I'll share my experience in PA. My local ordnances required 'adequate heat.' The permit itself was similar to a shed in that it did not require inspections. So, I took 'adequate heat' to mean so long as I have draft free good ventilation and get feathered chickens that can handle SW PA weather, zero heat is adequate.

I did have to run an extension cord for the heated waterer. Of course, something more permanent would be preferred, but I can't afford that at the moment. I'll use the extension cord in the summer to put a bug zapper above the run.

Welcome to BYC. Don't you just LOVE when regulations are written based on what people think feels good rather than based on sound knowledge?

Here's an excellent article for people raising chickens in severe-winter areas: Article 'Cold Weather Poultry Housing and Care'

Also, ventilation is just as important in the winter as in the summer: Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Do make sure that you have the precise, actual wording of the specific regulations to make sure to comply with them. :)

Back
Top Bottom