Miss Margie needs help

Debshappyflock71

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
My hen Miss Margie has been limping,I’ve checked her feet out couldn’t find anything but I finally found the problem I believe anyway. But I don’t know what to do, please help. She’s about a year old I don’t think she’s laying I’m assuming because she’s suffering she eats well and drinks well so far . I feed her layer crumbles sometimes I mix black sunflower seed and scratch and meal worms to snack on and home grown wheat and water with acv on a regular basis. Yesterday and today I gave her eggs and yogurt and a piece of a bayer asprin in her water and wrapped her knee .She has this big knot on her knee please tell what I can do to help her she is such a sweet heart

Attachments

• 68D36BC7-6FC5-4D74-9995-9F23A228A5C0.jpeg
    68D36BC7-6FC5-4D74-9995-9F23A228A5C0.jpeg
    615.2 KB · Views: 317
  • 7DFC1757-181B-427E-8101-E1325CFCC916.jpeg
    7DFC1757-181B-427E-8101-E1325CFCC916.jpeg
    595.4 KB · Views: 2
Has she been holding her leg up when she walks or trying to put some weight on it? She may have a sprained leg. Do her legs appear straight, or does one or both look bowed out or knock-kneed? How do her feet look—any swelling of the foot joints? I would probably restrict her activity inside a wire dog crate with food and water where she can still see the other chickens. See what she feel like in a week, and decide if she needs another week or two in the crate. I would try to just feed her layer feed, and stop so many extras which will dilute the protein and nutrients of the layer feed. An occasional small treat would be okay.

Has she been holding her leg up when she walks or trying to put some weight on it? She may have a sprained leg. Do her legs appear straight, or does one or both look bowed out or knock-kneed? How do her feet look—any swelling of the foot joints? I would probably restrict her activity inside a wire dog crate with food and water where she can still see the other chickens. See what she feel like in a week, and decide if she needs another week or two in the crate. I would try to just feed her layer feed, and stop so many extras which will dilute the protein and nutrients of the layer feed. An occasional small treat would be okay.
Thank you for the info I appreciate it. She limps when she walks and when standing alone she holds that one leg up . She doesn’t have any swelling on her feet . All I can find is that swollen knot on her knee joint maybe injured flying down from the roost. I have her separated so the roosters don’t bother her

Let us know how she gets along, or if swelling occurs anywhere else. Is there any green bruising around her swollen joint? Good idea to keep her away from roosters, since that might be how she was injured.

No green bruising just very painful looking limping. I just hope she gets better she’s one of my most beautiful ladies and sweetest not trying to be picky but definitely one of my favs lol

It can take several weeks to recover from a sprain or fracture, and there could be tendon damage. Vets are very expensive, and some will not see chickens, but an exam or and xray might give you more hope. Limiting her activity, preventing jumping up and down from a perch, but trying to let her be near the others is what I would do. Usually the pain will help them not overuse the limb. Hopefully, you will see some improvement soon.

Back
Top Bottom