Missing duck overnight

Finally managed to herd all of them into the chicken coop for the night! We’ll get working on a longer term solution, but good for tonight.
They will get used to the new routine and it will become easier to get them in.

I had delinquent drakes earlier this year and ended up waiting until just before dark -- I would be in the yard with them, hosing down my patio and the like, really worried about predators -- before they would eventually go in. Then I changed sleeping arrangements when I got an additional drake. Two pekin drakes each have their own dog crate and two muscovy chose their spot but one always goes up on a cabinet and the other sleeps on the floor infront of the pekins.

Now, I pick up the loudest of the pekin drakes, and pop him into the coop door -- he toddles over and goes into his dog crate. Meanwhile, the second pekin comes over on his own -- responding to the shouting from the first one -- and goes straight into his crate . Before I can get out of the coop, the muscovy who sleeps high is in and often the fourth drake. If the fourth isn't in (he's been stumbled over a couple of times and has enough sense now to avoid my feet when I am walking backwards) he's waiting outside and goes in straight away when I get out of the coop. This evening, I was going out, and I put loud pekin inside at 5pm. The others all followed suit. Quite remarkable the change from earlier in the year.

I'm sure your ducks, too, FuzzyDuck will quickly learn they sleep in the chicken coop!

Last edited:
Maybe broody..most do set in spring. But just had my Cayuga's both go broody this weekend..also I did have a buff make a nest 3 feet Off the ground in a brush pile! Found her by accident...also thought she was victim🙄 You could place some dog kennels in the coop for ducks to sleep in .they learn very quickly.. .

Back
Top Bottom