Missing Feather Mystery

Chickie77

Chirping
14 Years
Dec 16, 2009
My chicken has had this patch of missing feathers in front of her tail for the past 6-8 weeks. When I dig through her feathers, I find dirt from her dust baths but that's about it so I don't think it's lice or mites. It's clearly not molting as she's had no other feather loss in that time. I also feel like the rest of her feathers are not as smooth and shiny as all the other ladies' coats. No one else in the flock has any issues. Any ideas? TIA

Attachments

• tempImageFJPtIE.png
    tempImageFJPtIE.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • tempImageIttOI4.png
    tempImageIttOI4.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • tempImagempWBN4.png
    tempImagempWBN4.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
My chicken has had this patch of missing feathers in front of her tail for the past 6-8 weeks. When I dig through her feathers, I find dirt from her dust baths but that's about it so I don't think it's lice or mites. It's clearly not molting as she's had no other feather loss in that time. I also feel like the rest of her feathers are not as smooth and shiny as all the other ladies' coats. No one else in the flock has any issues. Any ideas? TIA
Looks like she's being picked by the other birds.

Looks like she's being picked by the other birds.
This is an option I hadn't considered, but several things jump out at me that make me skeptical. First, I've never actually seen her being pecked and she's fairly high in the pecking order. Also, when I looked up pictures of hens getting pecked, she's never had the bare looking back with fresh feathers growing in. Lastly, these hens have tons of space, several waterers and feeders, and very little supplemental produce beyond their layer feed, so a lot of the associated factors aren't there. But perhaps it's still happening?

This is an option I hadn't considered, but several things jump out at me that make me skeptical. First, I've never actually seen her being pecked and she's fairly high in the pecking order. Also, when I looked up pictures of hens getting pecked, she's never had the bare looking back with fresh feathers growing in. Lastly, these hens have tons of space, several waterers and feeders, and very little supplemental produce beyond their layer feed, so a lot of the associated factors aren't there. But perhaps it's still happening?
Screenshot_20210705-224840_Chrome.jpg
If the picking is severe to the point of baldness, then they're feather eating which is a sign of lack of protein in the diet. Or multiple hens are pecking the other just to bully her.

Back
Top Bottom