Gbarri03

Hatching
May 11, 2020
F160F9FD-21DD-48A8-B920-7058B623F863.jpeg
4C557A03-4F67-4370-8748-27A17F1E5442.jpeg
E3F195B6-DA30-4473-A53B-0567EC460F5F.jpeg
DB42B897-C44F-4B2F-9B75-FA3F51E7318B.jpeg
CC9D3AAA-2ABF-4A34-A24E-4E97AC91FD4E.jpeg
I have a flock of 9 chickens, 8 are hens 1 is a rooster. I have2 jersey giants and one of them is beginning to get a bald spot on her neck and around her head. I looked but couldn’t see any mites and I thought it may be her molting but it’s still winter. They free range everyday from sun up to sun down so I wouldn’t think it’s aggression from close quarters. Any ideas what it may be? She’s the only one with missing feathers and I’m just not sure what it may be. Thanks! 😁

How old is she? She looks to be molting with the new blue feather shafts coming in. But new feathers can be attractive, and others may peck them or break them off as they come in.

Especially in the last pic, the broken feathers are easy to see. I would watch to see who is pecking her. How many chickens and how much room do they have in their coop and run? What are you feeding?Are they getting outside to free range?

Especially in the last pic, the broken feathers are easy to see. I would watch to see who is pecking her. How many chickens and how much room do they have in their coop and run? What are you feeding?Are they getting outside to free range?
I have 9 chickens one of them being a rooster. They have about 3 acres of woods to free range. They are always outside and only go inside their coop and run to sleep, eat, and drink. The run is about 48 square feet and the coop where they roost is about 27 square feet. Although they free range, I provide them Purina layer crumble at all times. It’s strange because when I watch the hens, the other girls usually don’t push the jersey giants around cause they’re so big 😂

You could increase the protein in your feed to 20% Flock Raiser or other all flock feed in case protein is the reason for the feather picking. That would be more healthy for your rooster who doesn’t need the extra calcium in his diet. But if you do that, it is good to put out a bowl of crushed oyster shell for the layers. Feather picking has a lot of possible causes, so I would watch for any causes. Here is some info to read:
https://poultry.extension.org/artic...ibalism-in-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks/

Back
Top Bottom