Missing guinea hens!

At 4 months most hens are probably "buckwheating" but you may have some late bloomers which is fairly common. If you have not found any eggs,they are not playing house. Your best options is to go walking on the edge of your fields where there are trees and look from them high out of danger from the ground predators and second option is get some more birds( keets),it's still early in the year and integration would still be fairly easy.
Agreed, Numi was 15 weeks before the buckwheating started. However she has started the playing house thing in the flower bed. She has a shallow indentation under the lemon balm she settles into. So she's comfy cool while Brodie stands outside of it for hours guarding. I can almost read his expression-"could you not pick somewhere I didn't have stand here in the beating sun or pouring rain?!" Around 4-5 p.m. she decides she's had enough and waddles back to the coop. No eggs though, and she's quiet. Mama has her own version of echo-location. She periodically calls out from her spot,& has tone differences indicating what she wants. There's the nagging to her mate, "I'm here on the nest alone bored while you're running around" to which Mia will raise his head and look, deciding if he needs to go back or cont.grazing. Then there's the frantic call, which sends him hightailing. When I call for them, she has a softer call, just letting me know she's there and ok but not ready to come in yet.
Still hoping the fence is up soon...lol.building the garden on an incline is great in that the rain runs down instead of flooding my plants. Trying to put up fence posts and make them level...:lau my poor husband.😁

Hello all! This is our first post here.
We have 13 guinea fowl- almost 4 months old.

They are trained and come back to the coop every night, no problems.
About 1.5 weeks ago we only had 12 return. Worried but thought ok- it is possible she may be nesting down. The others very reluctantly went in to coop crying and calling for her.
They did this two days and then seemed to move on.

Then… three days ago- none came home. 😳
We waited until the morning thinking they found some tasty bugs and couldn’t be bothered coming home. We were very concerned.

Next day my husband went looking (we have 8 acres- cleared in middle and on two sides, marshy and woods on other two sides.

He found a couple who reluctantly came up to him and we lured them home with food. They were on the backside of our property butting up to our neighbors tall grasses.

5 came back with him. All males.

Since then the males haven’t wandered far and every so often will call up a storm for the females.

I’ve heard a female maybe three times in the marshy woods/ field area.

So here we are day 4, no hens only males.

Has anyone had this happen? Did they ever come back? I am so concerned 🥺
Thank you!
I’m about to get my first guinea fowl and I was reading about how to find them. thought I’d pass it along. I’m buying a heat sensor camera and I’ve heard this absolutely helps find them. the one I am getting is under $300 from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom