Missing Guinea

MoChkRch

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Missing Guinea? Noticed yesterday, that I'm missing one of my Guineas.I've walked around my fence...and nothing? No feathers/body ? Nothing? Tried calling and nothing? I had 5...They're around four months old, and are pretty good size. Could a stray cat have got it?...I'm puzzled because of it completely disappearing

Missing Guinea? Noticed yesterday, that I'm missing one of my Guineas.I've walked around my fence...and nothing? No feathers/body ? Nothing? Tried calling and nothing? I had 5...They're around four months old, and are pretty good size. Could a stray cat have got it?...I'm puzzled because of it completely disappearing
What general location are you at? A missing guinea here would be a loss to a predator or one thst took to the trees and refuses to land on the snow.

Guineas are a favorite for predators.

Hi...I'm in California desert. Not too many predators. We have crows and I've seen a small size hawk. But that's about it. If a hawk got it wouldn't there be feathers? body parts? That's why I'm thinking stray cat?

Hi...I'm in California desert. Not too many predators. We have crows and I've seen a small size hawk. But that's about it. If a hawk got it wouldn't there be feathers? body parts? That's why I'm thinking stray cat?
Owls and other nighttime predators will also work over the guineas. A cat is certainly possible. I would expect coyotes to be present in your area also.

The reason for location is whether or not the missing guinea might be on a hidden nest. That is an outside possibility in you location but the probability is low.

Thanks for your reply...just upset because I raised them from keets
I understand. This is part of life as a guinea owner. I very rarely needed to advertise keets for sale because people were constantly replacing the ones they lost.

I made sure that my guineas were shut in the coop at night and never lost any to predators. I did lose one to refusing to come down out of a tree because of the snow.

My previous flock were allowed to roost outside and every one of them was taken by Great Horned owls.

Back
Top Bottom