Missing partial feathers, possible comb issue?

Fowled-Me-Once

Hatching
Dec 23, 2023
Hello. This is a 3.5 year old hen. When I went to fill water today I noticed something wrong with her neck feathers - the shaft is there but it’s like the vane is gone. I’ve seen mite damage photos, but they seem to be whole feathers missing down to the skin. Is this the start of that? Could anyone kindly help ID? (Can you suddenly get mite damage in the cold with an isolated flock and no prior issues?)

Also her comb has some whitish bits, but I don’t think it’s frostbite - her flock siblings are okay. Thrush maybe? Any help appreciated. She is acting as she always does, nothing amiss there.

This flock came with the house when I bought it, and this particular hen has always been extremely skittish and hates being handled. I will do what it takes to treat the problems, just want to cause minimal stress for her, poor thing. I don’t think this feather damage is from another chicken - they have a pretty established pecking order and rarely bother one another, I’ve only seen them get huffy with each other a small handful of times and it was tame.

PS Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread - meant to put it in pests not hatching! My mistake!!

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom