Missing rooster :(

I'm sorry you lost a good rooster and a pullet. If your coop is large enough you can leave them inside for a day or two while you make a run.

The fastest way to make a dog, raccoon, and/or coyote-proof run is electric net and a good, strong fence charger.

Any chance you could hatch some of Bruno's eggs too keep his good genetics in your flock?

We have some electric poultry netting. Mighy try to cover them with deer netting. Would that keep hawks out? They have two coops, one is particularly large. Hopefully they don't go stir crazy while we sort this out.

The pullet who was killed hatched out 7 of Bruno's chicks in October. Really glad I let her hatch them now :(

We have some electric poultry netting. Mighy try to cover them with deer netting. Would that keep hawks out? They have two coops, one is particularly large. Hopefully they don't go stir crazy while we sort this out.

The pullet who was killed hatched out 7 of Bruno's chicks in October. Really glad I let her hatch them now :(

I don't know about the deer netting. I haven't tried to hawk-proof my electric net.

I am sorry you lost another chicken. This sounds rather serious, and whatever it was will come back for more. A securely covered run with hot wire will keep them safe, but I would set up some cameras to know exactly what you are dealing with.

I completely understand your view point on free ranging. I love to let mine out and about. But for me, it can't be 7 days a week. Or I am completely picked off. These are things that have worked for me, take what you want.
  • I need a coop/run where my flock can stay 24/7 for weeks if needed
  • I do not let my birds out on a pattern such as at 7:00 every day
  • Sometimes I let them out in the morning, sometimes in afternoon and sometimes not at all
  • I do not let them out on cloudy days or windy days, - gives too much advantage to the predators
  • When I get hit, I go into lock down for several weeks
  • I have game cameras and live traps and a husband that takes care of that.
  • I have found that good roosters can really help, but no rooster is a good rooster until he is close to a year old, and a lot of roosters are never good roosters.
Good luck,

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom