Mistakes were made.. how do i fix it??

Thewembo

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2023
Hello all

We found one of our GC girls sitting on some unfertilized eggs last week. On Thursday I swapped out the eggs for some (6) fertilized eggs. Here is where I made the mistake.. on Sunday morning I added 5 more fertilized eggs. Making them 4 days behind the first batch I put under her.
I should have prefaced this by saying we have never had a broody girl, or hatched eggs. I fully admit I was ill prepared and very under researched. Now after doing some reading, I see that she will likely leave the nest once the first "batch" hatch, leaving the second "batch" unattended.
Assuming this is the case, can I put them in an incubator for the last few days? Any other suggestions? I feel just awful about it😕

Hello all

We found one of our GC girls sitting on some unfertilized eggs last week. On Thursday I swapped out the eggs for some (6) fertilized eggs. Here is where I made the mistake.. on Sunday morning I added 5 more fertilized eggs. Making them 4 days behind the first batch I put under her.
I should have prefaced this by saying we have never had a broody girl, or hatched eggs. I fully admit I was ill prepared and very under researched. Now after doing some reading, I see that she will likely leave the nest once the first "batch" hatch, leaving the second "batch" unattended.
Assuming this is the case, can I put them in an incubator for the last few days? Any other suggestions? I feel just awful about it😕
You can go ahead and put the newer eggs in an incubator. ☺️
I had the same thing happen to a broody duck, and she accepted the newer ducklings. But I'm not familiar with chickens, so I'm not sure if the hen will do the same (but I'm inclined to think she will). Don't worry too much about it!

Back
Top Bottom