Mite infestation / Elector PSP effectiveness - need advice

Can someone please help? I have been battling mites on my 3 hens and I believe to have both red and Northern fowl mites. On Thursday, I gave them all a bath using dawn dish soap and then sprayed them thoroughly with Elector PSP. The mix was 9ml to 1 gallon of water. I also removed all shavings and used Elector on the inside of the coop and run, but mixed 6ml to 1/2 gal. Saturated everything. I STILL SEE MITES.

Is it possible the Elector has gone bad? The bottle is about 1.5 years old and it did sit in a hot garage for about a week after I moved. Would that cause it to lose its effectiveness? Everyone swears by this stuff…. What am I doing wrong?? This is beyond frustrating. :(

Note - Today I plan to remove the vinyl flooring completely (I had saturated the floors so I thought that should have worked) and spraying again…. But if the Elector has gone bad, not sure that will help. Really don’t want to use Permethrin as I have cats.

Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please help? I have been battling mites on my 3 hens and I believe to have both red and Northern fowl mites. On Thursday, I gave them all a bath using dawn dish soap and then sprayed them thoroughly with Elector PSP. The mix was 9ml to 1 gallon of water. I also removed all shavings and used Elector on the inside of the coop and run, but mixed 6ml to 1/2 gal. Saturated everything. I STILL SEE MITES.

Is it possible the Elector has gone bad? The bottle is about 1.5 years old and it did sit in a hot garage for about a week after I moved. Would that cause it to lose its effectiveness? Everyone swears by this stuff…. What am I doing wrong?? This is beyond frustrating. :(

Note - Today I plan to remove the vinyl flooring completely (I had saturated the floors so I thought that should have worked) and spraying again…. But if the Elector has gone bad, not sure that will help. Really don’t want to use Permethrin as I have cats.

Sorry, I have no advice but I'm on here from Georgia as well and our chickens have mites. I was about to buy Elector PSP but I'll wait and see what people say.

What does the bottle of spinosad say about storage? Is there an expiration date?
I don't use this product, but if you followed directions for dilution, it should work. You could call the manufacturer Monday about it.
Permethrin is fine, as long as the cats aren't in it when it's wet. After the coop is dry, the cats are safe on the bedding.
Mites are the pits!!! Here they come in on the wild sparrows who invade the coop eating spilled feed. It's an ongoing issue for us, and we use permethrin, way less expensive.
Mary

My advice is use a temporary coop for a yr & let this one sit empty after treating it. Treat your chickens in the new coop. You'll get rid of them a lot faster.

Edit: Give them new roosting bars in the new coop.

Last edited:

Old timers used to burn their barns down when they got red mites .They don't go away as easy as some claim.https://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/red-mite/

What does the bottle of spinosad say about storage? Is there an expiration date?
I don't use this product, but if you followed directions for dilution, it should work. You could call the manufacturer Monday about it.
Permethrin is fine, as long as the cats aren't in it when it's wet. After the coop is dry, the cats are safe on the bedding.
Mites are the pits!!! Here they come in on the wild sparrows who invade the coop eating spilled feed. It's an ongoing issue for us, and we use permethrin, way less expensive.
Mary
I called the manufacturer of Elector PSP and they told me the product should still work (it's definitely not working, which is disappointing considering it was $125).. I ended up picking up Permethrin last night and am going to spray the coop down with that. Just feeling overwhelmed. :(

I called the manufacturer of Elector PSP and they told me the product should still work (it's definitely not working, which is disappointing considering it was $125).. I ended up picking up Permethrin last night and am going to spray the coop down with that. Just feeling overwhelmed. :(
I've heard it gets hard and won't mix. Whats the consistency of yours?

It takes two or three treatments to rid a coop of mites. Permethrin and I assume Elector PSP knockdown rate relies on contact with the mites. What neither deal with is the eggs the mites lay that then hatch and reinfest the coop.

Of course, the mites don't all lay their eggs at the same time, so one has a constant mite replacement. As ChickensComeHome2Roost points out, the easy option is to rehouse the chickens until the problem has been dealt with.

I am having the exact same problem with Elector PSP. It is not the magic solution some say it is. I've been battling since May. I treat the coop and chickens and 3-4 days later there's a mite population EXPLOSION. I've talked with the manufacturer, replaced the bottle of Elector and done everything except burn the coop down. The only explanation at this point is resistance.
Switched to permethrin yesterday and am hoping for better results.

I am having the exact same problem with Elector PSP. It is not the magic solution some say it is. I've been battling since May. I treat the coop and chickens and 3-4 days later there's a mite population EXPLOSION. I've talked with the manufacturer, replaced the bottle of Elector and done everything except burn the coop down. The only explanation at this point is resistance.
Switched to permethrin yesterday and am hoping for better results.
I am going through the same problem. I swear these mites are bullet proof. Good luck, let me know if you find something that works. I have tried elector psp and permethrin and I just treated my chickens with ivermectin. I’m hoping this work. My coop is a wood coop, so saturating every crack has been rough. I have been spraying the coop every other day or sometimes everyday with psp and permethrin. My cats are not happy. I have locked them in the house when I use permethrin until it dries. I would love to find something that would kill on contact, but haven’t found anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom