Mites in button quail?

ChickKeeper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Hello, so Pixie hurt her toe and went to the vet about 3 weeks ago (was discolored). About a week later some of the feathers on top of her head were disheveled. I thought maybe she hit her head on the screen. She was about 2 months old and was due to be moved to a real pen instead of the aquarium that was her brooder. So got her moved to a 24w x24h x 36l cloth and mesh pen till she picks a boy she likes (will move the pair to a larger option.) Soft sides so shouldn't be able to hurt herself. Aspen bedding and a handful of hiding places. The bald spot on her head keeps growing. She is obsessively grooming and I think I found one mite on my hand after trying to examine her closer (roundish, dark brown, squished redish like it was full of blood, I think8 legs but not sure if I actually counted, ) . She lives indoors and everything besides the aspen bedding was sanitized before being added to the pen. I assume she picked them up at the vet since I can't think of any other ways she could be exposed. She stressed out rather badly during the last vet visit, is another trip needed or how can I treat her ( and possibly the rest of my quail if they were also exposed).
Photo attached showing bald spot.

Thank you,

Attachments

• 20210909_221107.jpg
    20210909_221107.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 20
Buy Permethrin dust at any hardware store and put it on your quail. Just put a little powder on your fingers and gently rub it in as best as you can and avoid her eyes. Then repeat again in about 10 days. You'll have to dust the bedding as well, just once is all that is needed.

Buy Permethrin dust at any hardware store and put it on your quail. Just put a little powder on your fingers and gently rub it in as best as you can and avoid her eyes. Then repeat again in about 10 days. You'll have to dust the bedding as well, just once is all that is needed.
Is rubbing it on her more effective than offering it as a dust bath?

Do I need to be concerned about the concentration of the permethrin since button quail are so tiny?

Thank you!

Sprinkled it on, then mixed a little with her regular dust bath. Looks like she is working it into all the spaces between feathers.

How long does it usually take to notice a decrease in the itching?

Attachments

• 20210910_180154.jpg
    20210910_180154.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom