Mites or some small bug not to worry about?

Yfd417

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY
To top off my bear close call today noted in another post, I am concerned I may have mites. I am attempting the deep litter method, and while going to agitate the existing bedding and add a new top layer I discovered some small insects that may be mites. It was hard to get a clear photo, but was able to get a short video clip and screenshot a couple images. This was in an area by two ventilation openings in the rear cleanout doors and there was some minimal dampness on the bottom after heavy rains we have been having. This is the best photo I could get right now posted below.. I guess I have to host a video in order to upload it. I will have to figure that out.
Any thoughts? Also, is it common to have insects in the bedding in general or should there be none? I saw a couple other bugs here and there.

Attachments

• 96B24C68-5CC2-4713-8A72-5BD38EBA1D5A.jpeg
    96B24C68-5CC2-4713-8A72-5BD38EBA1D5A.jpeg
    756 KB · Views: 26
I would get Permethrin and spray it in the coop and on you're birds. Just pick up the feeder and spray under it. Try not to throw food down for them for a few days after spraying.
I've been having a lice problem with my chooks. The lice are kind of a tan color. What color are these?

Back
Top Bottom